Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restarting because of a problem | Kernel Panics

For the past few weeks, my iMac 2020 has been unexpectedly restarting. Although a report is generated, it is less than helpful to explain WHY or WHAT that problem may be. The past 4 times (just this week) the machine has “restarted because of a problem,” I was away from my desk. I can't tell you if it was "waking from sleep" when it happens or if it just happens spontaneously.

I ran an EtreCheck Report and have included it below:

Externals:

External Monitor HP M27f

TimeMachine backup external harddrive

Powersupply with USB ports (6)

Bluetooth: Keyboard & Mouse

EtreCheckPro version: 6.5.6 (6F041)

Report generated: 2022-03-24 15:59:26

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 6:04 PM

I think once you uninstall ESET your Mac may be Ok, or at least a whole lot better since the two AV products won't be fighting against one another. Most organizations will insist on their preferred solution since they can monitor its use most easily. Sentinel One also seems to be fairly benign on Macs too as far as AV solutions go.

If you still have problems with Sentinel One installed, then I would recommend running EtreCheck again, but make sure when posting the new EtreCheck report that you use the "Share Report" option within the EtreCheck and select "Copy Report" which will give you the proper text to paste into the "Additional Text" field here on the forums. Copying the report this way will preserve the proper spacing in the text report and not include the hidden special formatting characters which makes the current report hard to read. Plus it will help to have all of the ESET lines removed as well (hopefully they will be gone if ESET is properly & fully uninstalled). There is a possibility you have other third party software installed that could be contributing to the problem, but I stopped reading after seeing the two AV solutions installed especially since the report was so hard to read with the extra formatting characters visible. Plus it will allow us to see whether ESET was fully uninstalled.

Please let us know how things work out once you uninstall ESET.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2022 6:04 PM in response to TChitwood

I think once you uninstall ESET your Mac may be Ok, or at least a whole lot better since the two AV products won't be fighting against one another. Most organizations will insist on their preferred solution since they can monitor its use most easily. Sentinel One also seems to be fairly benign on Macs too as far as AV solutions go.

If you still have problems with Sentinel One installed, then I would recommend running EtreCheck again, but make sure when posting the new EtreCheck report that you use the "Share Report" option within the EtreCheck and select "Copy Report" which will give you the proper text to paste into the "Additional Text" field here on the forums. Copying the report this way will preserve the proper spacing in the text report and not include the hidden special formatting characters which makes the current report hard to read. Plus it will help to have all of the ESET lines removed as well (hopefully they will be gone if ESET is properly & fully uninstalled). There is a possibility you have other third party software installed that could be contributing to the problem, but I stopped reading after seeing the two AV solutions installed especially since the report was so hard to read with the extra formatting characters visible. Plus it will allow us to see whether ESET was fully uninstalled.

Please let us know how things work out once you uninstall ESET.

Mar 24, 2022 3:12 PM in response to TChitwood

KP's can be very difficult to track down as they can be caused by hardware or software, however where I'd start is with the following:

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy.

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for SentinelOne, and ESET and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac  and then restart normally. If the KP's continue, please download and use FindAnyFile (the free version) and search your system for any files from both developers, move to the Trash and empty the Trash.

Mar 25, 2022 10:21 AM in response to TChitwood

You should never have two anti-virus products installed at the same time. One is bad enough, but when two or more are installed simultaneously, they end up stepping on each others toes. Sentinel One is odd to see on a personal system as that is usually installed by a school or business. If a school or business requires you to have anti-virus installed, then you should leave this one alone. You should definitely uninstall the ESET and if you have no requirement to use an anti-virus by a school or employer, then uninstall Sentinel One as well by following the developer's instructions. @rkaufmann87 is completely correct than anti-virus apps and similar apps are not needed on a Mac. Just following standard safe computing practices:

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Mar 31, 2022 1:08 PM in response to HWTech

OK - so I finally found the pesky little devil (aka ESET) - deleted it and ran a new Etre report (attached). After deleting, paying for and installing the upgrade to SmartStream, restarting, reopening and reimporting 3 sets of 2-page PDFs, I was bummed to see that it was indeed still happening. So, my next step will be to put in a service ticket with HP (SmartStream) to see if it has something to do with that.

1-page PDFs import fine - it only happens when I select more than 2 2-page PDFs.

Ugh, beyond frustrated.

The updated Etre Report can be found HERE.

Mar 25, 2022 11:47 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you for the insight! I am indeed required to have Sentinel One, as this is my work machine that is having the trouble (my home desktop and laptop are just fine). However, the kicker about this situation is that I have been having the spontaneous restarts since April of last year (one month after receiving it brand new) and have had it to the Genius Bar 6 times and 4 separate occasions of wiping the system clean and manually reinstalling EVERYTHING I use on a day-to-basis, but they were unable to pinpoint why it was restarting (speculations included bad apps/files I had loading at startup, something in the time machine backup I used to restore my system when the new machine arrived, external monitor, memory and Apple even replaced the logic board, hoping to fix the issue). They kept it for a week at the last visit in Dec 2021 and put it on a loop to open and close programs for 3 days straight hoping to recreate the restart, but alas, it didn't cooperate. But when I got it back to the shop, it was only 3 peaceful days before it started again. It has been a few months since the last episode [late Dec 2021] and I was cautiously optimistic that it was going to be nice, until late last week, when it started happening again ( 6 times in the past 3 days).

However, I will work on deleting ESET and pass on your concerns to our IT dept (Window lovers) to see if they will heed your warnings. It's worth a shot. Thanks again!!

If anyone would like a bit a light reading, I would be happy to post previous kernel/shutdown/panic logs and/or EtreCheck Reports.

Restarting because of a problem | Kernel Panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.