Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio Wakes From Sleep Often

My Mac Studio Ultra wakes from sleep on its own an average of about every ten minutes. The problem is I have a external hard drive connected via thunderbolt and its puts a lot of unnecessary wear on it.

Pretty sure it is a problem with OS 12.3

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 5:25 PM

42 replies

Apr 22, 2022 12:55 AM in response to ShuKhor

How are you getting the power graph ?SInce the Power light is lit when the Studio is On and when Sleeping it is hard to tell when the Studio is sleeping.

ShuKhor wrote:

Same thing with my Mac Studio With M1 Max. It is drawing idle energy at 10W instead of sleeping 4W. It’s also keep waking up and sleep in small interval. I also found that it’s warm to the touch every morning.

Circle in red is the supposed sleeping period, but it is drawing an idle power instead.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/81bb905a-c28f-42d7-842e-8ce1ecf25d8d

Apr 4, 2022 2:49 PM in response to John White9

in the mean time and I'm no expert about this Studio Ultra sleep issue, I don't sleep the Mac currently because during this so called sleep my Ultra was getting slightly warm to the touch and of course externals would be awake but both display would be sleeping. Strange condition.

The warm to the touch bothers me so I set the screen saver to turn off the displays, set energy saver to prevent Mac from auto sleeping when displays are off. I can live with this setup. The Ultra does not get warm at all. I'm positive in live mode the Studio does not draw more than 35 watts. Sleep mode should be 4 watts but I can live with the 35 watts. Hopefully a real fix occurs. I think so highly of this Studio Ultra that I'm not going to return it. It kicks butt. I gave up my 2019 Mac Pro and am totally satisfied.

Apr 4, 2022 3:02 PM in response to DonH49

My Ultra runs very cool. Mine does not get warm at all while it sleeps. I actually got it to heat up today for the first time by processing some 8k Video for an hour using Topaz Video Enhance AI. I do not think the fan increased speed much if at all but after a few minutes of processing the 8k it starting really blowing hot air out of the back. Prior to that I have never seen it get even a little warm. And during this my wattmeter showed 150 watts while it normally runs around 30-40. Guess all cores must have been running near wide open.

Apr 4, 2022 3:28 PM in response to John White9

Good info, thanks.

This past week I've disconnected all externals and one at a time tried sleep. Sleep becomes all over the place nothing points to a solution for my system. I did notice that USB attached devices do cause problems with the sleep. Two I have would be an OWC blu ray USB burner and a Red Dragonfly USB DAC. Turning the burner off but leaving the usb connected was ok but the Dragonfly is a different issue. The Sonnet Echo seemed to work by itself but the Cal digit TS3+ thunderbolt Dock is a different issue. The Cal Digit thunderbolt Elements also. My OWC 4 Bay thunderbolt is off and disconnected . It houses 4 mechanical hard drives. Not going to risk these drives. I only turn them on when needed then unmount when not. Same for the OWC USC-C Dock. Printers are all connected by ethernet, so no issue.

To tell you the truth, I think I've had these sleep issues for years not just because I have the Studio currently.

BTW I'm running Monterey 12.3.1 and still have the issue.

Apr 22, 2022 1:09 AM in response to lllaass

Hi, my Mac Studio are plugged into a smart power monitoring device. Look at the timing is where I asleep.. and I put in effort to set it into sleep before I went to sleep.. it goes down to 5W initially indicating it is sleeping.. I also ensure the fan is stop by feeling it at the bottom. It wakes up on its own showing on average 10W power consumption the whole night. 10W consumption is rated as idle power not sleeping. Clearly something is wrong here. I turned off the wake on wifi for updates. Every time I got back to the desk, the Max Studio is warm to the touch.

Jun 5, 2022 1:36 PM in response to John White9

My dark wakes from sleep are apparently caused by network signals waking the Mac. 12.4 did not fix. Apparently deselecting "wake for network access" does nothing with the current Apple implementation. I fixed it by inputting the following terminal commands:

sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0

sudo pmset -a powernap 0

If you decide to reverse it just replace 0 with 1 to go back to original settings. This will let the system stay asleep all the time. The only disadvantage is that Find My Mac will not work as well because no position updates will be sent during the solid periods of sleep. I wish Apple would fix the "wake for network access" setting so that it would actually work properly when being deselected or add an additional setting for those of us who actually want our machines to stay asleep.

Mac Studio Wakes From Sleep Often

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.