Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cinematic editor not shown in iMovie

I shot videos in Cinematic mode on my iphone 13, however when I import them to iMovie, there is no Cinematic button to edit.

I’ve tried Airdrop them (with all metadata turned on), I’m using Monterey with the latest version of iMovie (when I turn on iMovie it also advertises of the ‘new cinematic edit options’), so what should I do to edit the clips in Cinematic mode in iMovie?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 11:14 PM

Take a look at this Apple tutorial re editing of Cinematic clips in iMovie for Mac, and see if anything in there addresses your issue:

Adjust Cinematic mode video clips in iMovie on Mac - Apple Support

You need to click on the cinematic clip in the timeline in order to make the cinematic button appear in the toolbar above the viewer.

The cinematic editing controls will appear when you click on the button. If iMovie is not providing you with the above editing tools try deleting preferences and see if that cures the problem.

To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in

the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 11:14 PM in response to december_09thlinh

Take a look at this Apple tutorial re editing of Cinematic clips in iMovie for Mac, and see if anything in there addresses your issue:

Adjust Cinematic mode video clips in iMovie on Mac - Apple Support

You need to click on the cinematic clip in the timeline in order to make the cinematic button appear in the toolbar above the viewer.

The cinematic editing controls will appear when you click on the button. If iMovie is not providing you with the above editing tools try deleting preferences and see if that cures the problem.

To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in

the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Apr 29, 2022 12:27 AM in response to jonprice52

Yes I did. When you Airdrop the clips to your mac, I seemed to experience 2 situation:

1. After you click to your mac icon on your iphone to airdrop the clips, the transfer automatically runs without any confirmation from the mac’s part. This way the clips only appear to your mac as one single file, and when I import this file to imovie there is no cinematic edit option.
  2. Try this: when you click the mac icon on your phone, do not open the Airdrop Finder on the mac when you do so, then on the mac it will appear a box says “iphone trying to send files via airdrop” and you have to confirm it. Then it will send a folder (not a single file) to your mac, this folder contains several file and there are 2 clip files, import the one without the letter E to imovie and it has the cinematic option in iMovie.

Apr 28, 2022 11:10 PM in response to december_09thlinh

Did you ever find a resolution? I have a new MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.3.1 and iMovie 10.3.2

I airdropped my cinematic mode video clip to a folder and opened it in iMovie. The cinematic editing mode does not appear.

I tried the opt cmd open iMovie suggestion and it didn’t fix it.

My iPhone 13 ProMax allows me to edit the videos in iMovie for my iPhone. But no such luck on my Mac.

Any other fix suggestions?

Apr 29, 2022 9:29 AM in response to jonprice52

You can set your Air Drop preferences from the Air Drop Finder window on the Mac. However, there really isn't much of a safety issue since Air Drop only works for devices less than 30 feet away. So, unless you are in a coffee shop or riding in a tour bus, or where people are close by, not much chance of getting an unwanted Air Drop file. But, you can set your Air Drop preferences to turn off Air Drop, or limit it to people who are in your contacts file.

-- Rich

Cinematic editor not shown in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.