Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I seeing this when using man pages?

man grep

objc[40697]: Class AppleTypeCRetimerRestoreInfoHelper is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x2183e5eb0) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x10451c4f8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[40697]: Class AppleTypeCRetimerFirmwareAggregateRequestCreator is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x2183e5f00) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x10451c548). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[40697]: Class AppleTypeCRetimerFirmwareRequestCreator is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x2183e5f50) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x10451c598). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[40697]: Class ATCRTRestoreInfoFTABFile is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x2183e5fa0) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x10451c5e8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[40697]: Class AppleTypeCRetimerFirmwareCopier is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x2183e5ff0) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x10451c638). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[40697]: Class ATCRTRestoreInfoFTABSubfile is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x2183e6040) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x10451c688). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

2022-03-25 00:58:48.532 xcodebuild[40697:4046390] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

2022-03-25 00:58:48.532 xcodebuild[40697:4046390] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 9:56 AM

Apple owns this screwup with the man command (and some others) spewing duplicate class implementation gibberish. To avoid this, I have implemented in my ~/.zshrc file, the following alias:

alias man='man "$@" 2> /dev/null'

and then man provides quick, clean output by redirecting all of the nonsense to the bit bucket.

For that alias to take effect in the same Terminal session, do the following, otherwise a new Terminal session will pick it up:

source ~/.zshrc

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2022 9:56 AM in response to Locomotivation

Apple owns this screwup with the man command (and some others) spewing duplicate class implementation gibberish. To avoid this, I have implemented in my ~/.zshrc file, the following alias:

alias man='man "$@" 2> /dev/null'

and then man provides quick, clean output by redirecting all of the nonsense to the bit bucket.

For that alias to take effect in the same Terminal session, do the following, otherwise a new Terminal session will pick it up:

source ~/.zshrc

Mar 25, 2022 8:24 AM in response to Locomotivation

This is what I am getting with your command

GREP(1)                      General Commands Manual                     GREP(1)

NAME

grep, egrep, fgrep, rgrep, bzgrep, bzegrep, bzfgrep, zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep

– file pattern searcher

SYNOPSIS

grep [-abcdDEFGHhIiJLlMmnOopqRSsUVvwXxZz] [-A num] [-B num] [-C[num]]

[-e pattern] [-f file] [--binary-files=value] [--color[=when]]

[--colour[=when]] [--context[=num]] [--label] [--line-buffered]

[--null] [pattern] [file ...]

DESCRIPTION

The grep utility searches any given input files, selecting lines that match

one or more patterns.  By default, a pattern matches an input line if the

regular expression (RE) in the pattern matches the input line without its

trailing newline.  An empty expression matches every line.  Each input line

that matches at least one of the patterns is written to the standard

output.

grep is used for simple patterns and basic regular expressions (BREs);

egrep can handle extended regular expressions (EREs).  See re_format(7) for

more information on regular expressions.  fgrep is quicker than both grep

Mar 25, 2022 9:08 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you for responding.

No, it's not Linux (as is evident per the references to /Library/Apple, Class AppleTypeCRetimerFirmwareRequestCreator, etc.)

It's what happened when I was trying to view the man pages for a couple of *nix commands that are present by default.

I was running a terminal session on Monterey (12.3).

This happened twice (in two separate terminal tabs, on two separate man pages - for grep and for gzip), but after those two incidents, man pages now seem to be working as expected in those same two tabs. Very odd. What bothers me is that I've never seen anything like that happen before, and I spend a lot of time using terminal.

Both Monterey and Xcode were updated very recently and based on the output I suspect one or both of those updates may have something to do with this.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Why am I seeing this when using man pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.