Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mainstage: how to split a MIDI keyboard and route to separate plugin per split zone?

I just bought a Mac mini M1 and Mainstage (Logic as well) and tried to implement the same live setup I had before on a Windows based machine. Even read the Mainstage manual and other questions here and did a lot of experiments. But still didn't manage to do the following in Mainstage:

I have a MIDI master keyboard (connected via USB) and would like to have two split regions, the left one routed to a bass plugin (Trilian) and the right one to a piano plugin (Pianoteq). Can someone help?

Another goal is to do a drum mapping, i.e. I would like to play a drum plugin (EZdrummer) on this keyboard but would like to have some sounds assigned to another key of the keyboard. I'm looking for a mapping table or similar to do that (i.e. not a curve).

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 1:27 PM

Ok, I found out myself; took several days; the problem was that the signal flow is totally unintuitive and there is no diagram for it; so it took a while until I realized that each physical keyboard has first to be modeled by a visual representation on the layout screen; then you can create instrument strips which can be associated with the visual representations of the keyboard, and in the inspector pane the key range of the strip can be set so that implicitly split zones are formed.

And now for the mapping; there is in input pitch mapping, but it is implemented as a curve which is impractical for the present use case; I found that for the strip reprsenting the drums pluging a midi effect has to be set; the only applicable midi effect for the use case is the "Scripter MIDI Plugin"; there is a pre-defined script for drum mapping, but I decided to write my own one which is work in progress; not sure yet whether the Java Script processing per MIDI event is fast enough; will see.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2022 1:27 PM in response to rochus_

Ok, I found out myself; took several days; the problem was that the signal flow is totally unintuitive and there is no diagram for it; so it took a while until I realized that each physical keyboard has first to be modeled by a visual representation on the layout screen; then you can create instrument strips which can be associated with the visual representations of the keyboard, and in the inspector pane the key range of the strip can be set so that implicitly split zones are formed.

And now for the mapping; there is in input pitch mapping, but it is implemented as a curve which is impractical for the present use case; I found that for the strip reprsenting the drums pluging a midi effect has to be set; the only applicable midi effect for the use case is the "Scripter MIDI Plugin"; there is a pre-defined script for drum mapping, but I decided to write my own one which is work in progress; not sure yet whether the Java Script processing per MIDI event is fast enough; will see.

Mainstage: how to split a MIDI keyboard and route to separate plugin per split zone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.