Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV video freezes on smart tv

After over a year of great quality Apple TV, my video started freezing. I can still hear audio. Initially the video would “catch up” to the audio if I paused. But then it continues to freeze. All apps are updated and I cleared Apple TV cache and data. I use Amazon Fire stick (actually the cube).

FireTVCube(Gen2),

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 3:25 PM

I appreciate all of the responses and sorry I may not have been clear. On my smart TV, using fire stick…Netflix, Prime Video, Disney all stream with no problems. Netflix network check shows speed of 57 Mbps right now. Apple TV video started freezing about 6 minutes into the show, while audio continues. I can pause once or twice to get video to “catch” up, then it freezes permanently. This happens every time I try to watch Apple TV….always a few minutes into the show. (Almost as if it used up it’s buffer?!?) This just started happening several weeks to a month ago.

Everything else is the same.

I really like Apple TV and would like to be able to watch it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2022 3:25 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I appreciate all of the responses and sorry I may not have been clear. On my smart TV, using fire stick…Netflix, Prime Video, Disney all stream with no problems. Netflix network check shows speed of 57 Mbps right now. Apple TV video started freezing about 6 minutes into the show, while audio continues. I can pause once or twice to get video to “catch” up, then it freezes permanently. This happens every time I try to watch Apple TV….always a few minutes into the show. (Almost as if it used up it’s buffer?!?) This just started happening several weeks to a month ago.

Everything else is the same.

I really like Apple TV and would like to be able to watch it.

Mar 28, 2022 10:04 AM in response to Amica511

I was very surprised to find the speed to the fire tv was only 8 Mbps

Interference is a possibility. E.g. from a neighboring network, or something real close to the Wi-Fi antenna in the streaming device. That might explain why the iPad gets different numbers.

Neighboring networks can be time-sensitive, as your neighbors control which devices they have active. Try restarting the router when this happens, as routers can choose new optimal ‘channels’ to use when restarting. Else set the Wi-Fi channels manually for a mostly unused part of the spectrum for your area.

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

While mainly focused on Apple gear, the advise is valid for other devices as well.

Mar 26, 2022 9:44 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I was very surprised to find the speed to the fire tv was only 8 Mbps tested at 9pm Saturday. Xfinity speed test run on my iPad was 58 Mbps. So that looks like the problem. I don’t understand what changed though in the last month as everything was great for a year.

I am the only user on my network and I only use small apps like testing, email or internet search, if any, while watching tv. I have added to networked lights fairly recently.

Apple TV video freezes on smart tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.