Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents folder has disappeared

All of a sudden, most of what is my Favorites sidebar in my Finder, has disappeared (this happens about once a month now), and my Documents folder has disappeared.

When I search for "Documents", I find literally HUNDREDS of Documents folder, all of them empty or mostly empty.

If I search for individual folder that are normally in my Documents folders, I am able to find them, even though the Documents folder in my Home is empty.

Arrggghhhh

I've reported the items disappearing from my Favorites numerous times to Apple Support, but they don't have any answers, except to update my OS. Yes, I update my OS regularly.

This is frustrating, time-consuming, and scary—am I losing files without realizing it?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 11:38 AM

9 replies

Mar 26, 2022 2:24 PM in response to jimfromgowanda

I tried this with several folders, but most of those were contained within another folder that is normally in Documents. So I tried with one I knew to be directly in Documents. It showed that one to be in "Documents", but it did not show where that Documents folder is.

I did another search for "Documents" and found 241 folders on my computer with that name. Almost all of them were empty; a small handful had some items in them, but only a few.

Thanks,

Mark

Mar 27, 2022 3:10 PM in response to jimfromgowanda

Thank you. I did that, and it said that the folder was in my Documents folder, which still showing up as empty in my home.

That reassured me that the folder was actually present somehow or other, and then it dawned on my to restart my computer. Once I did, the Documents folder had everything in it, though it was not on my favorites sidebar.

Mar 27, 2022 3:13 PM in response to mccarlson

It finally dawned on me to restart my computer. Once I did, the Documents folder in my Home had everything in it, though it was not on my favorites sidebar. I have dragged it back on there.

I have also read that the disappearing Documents folder is a known issue for some people using Monterey. If this is true, is there any reason why Apple doesn't fix it?

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Documents folder has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.