Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete folder

Hello everyone!

I try delete folders /Users/sergeisidorkin/.Trash/archive

I was getting an "The operation can’t be completed because the item is in use." error upon trying to empty the trash.

Here's everything I've done so far:

1) I rebooted in safe mode, and tried to delete, but that didn't work.

2) I went into recovery mode and ran First Aid in Disk Utility. Still didn't delete

3) I tried sudo rm - Rf to remove the folder and I'm getting a "rm: /Users/sergeisidorkin/.Trash/archive: Permission denied" error

4) I turn off System Integrity Protection, and tried to delete, but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 7:26 AM

Create a new account and make it an administrator via System Preferences -> Users & Groups.

Logout of sergeisdorkin and login with the new administrator account.

Open Terminal and issue the following command:

sudo rm -rf /Users/sergeisdorkin/.Trash/archive

Turn SIP back on and login as sergeisdorkin and delete the extra administrator account if you don't wish to keep it.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2022 7:26 AM in response to Sergei-Sidorkin

Create a new account and make it an administrator via System Preferences -> Users & Groups.

Logout of sergeisdorkin and login with the new administrator account.

Open Terminal and issue the following command:

sudo rm -rf /Users/sergeisdorkin/.Trash/archive

Turn SIP back on and login as sergeisdorkin and delete the extra administrator account if you don't wish to keep it.

Cannot delete folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.