Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 'Kernel stack memory corruption detected'

I hade a ' Kernel stack memory corruption detected ' restart problem in the past. Mac OS version: 21E230

• I have an external boot for my iMac 18.2 (2017 21inch 4K - 1TB Fusion drive) - system. Using the internal drive works in Monterey, but below my expectations.

I had kernel paics before. Previously I thought it was my Thunderbolt3 device + WD Black SN750.

To solve the crashes, I have used the internal drive for some time again, but it is slow.

So I went back to the Thunderbolt. The crashes came back. I switched Thunderbolt drives. It is still there. It is not the drive.

QUESTION:

• The external boot is on a WD Black SN850 500TB SSD, PCIe-4 - while the Thunderbolt drive is PCIe-3. The information given was that the WD PCIe-4 would be backwards compatible.
  • Can running a PCI-4 card on a PCI-3 drive be the cause for the kernel panics? Just a glitch every now and then; only when the system is sleeping?
  • Is it harmfull for the system to repeatedly restart after a kernel panic? (once in a while, say 48 hours, and only when the system is asleep); I do not leave documents open; sometimes Lightroom (LR or LRc).
  • I also have a 1Tb PCIe-3 card that is slower than the WD (reading 1.700 Mb versus a faster 2.400 Mb measured in the same Thunderbolt3 drive). So little prformance to sacrifice. Startup will be 50 secs against 35 secs. Just do it?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 6:10 AM

I think it was the PCIe-4 card being used in a PCIe-3 external Thunderbolt-3 drive for the boot device.

I have changed it, and now use a standard USB-C NVMe drive and not the Thundebolt-3 (USB-4) drive anymore.

• the system is very responsive now and swift. It is just faster!!!

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 27, 2022 5:31 AM in response to alberti-nl

alberti-nl wrote:

• I hade a ' Kernel stack memory corruption detected ' restart problem in the past. Mac OS version: 21E230
I have an external boot for my iMac 18.2 (2017 21inch 4K - 1TB Fusion drive) - system. Using the internal drive works in Monterey, but below my expectations.
I had kernel paics before. Previously I thought it was my Thunderbolt3 device + WD Black SN750.
To solve the crashes, I have used the internal drive for some time again, but it is slow.
So I went back to the Thunderbolt. The crashes came back. I switched Thunderbolt drives. It is still there. It is not the drive.

QUESTION:
The external boot is on a WD Black SN850 500TB SSD, PCIe-4 - while the Thunderbolt drive is PCIe-3• . The information given was that the WD PCIe-4 would be backwards compatible.
Can running a PCI-4 card on a PCI-3 drive be the cause• for the kernel panics? Just a glitch every now and then; only when the system is sleeping?
Is it harmful• l for the system to repeatedly restart after a kernel panic? (once in a while, say 48 hours, and only when the system is asleep); I do not leave documents open; sometimes Lightroom (LR or LRc).
• I also have a 1Tb PCIe-3 card that is slower than the WD (reading 1.700 Mb versus a faster 2.400 Mb measured in the same Thunderbolt3 drive). So little prformance to sacrifice. Startup will be 50 secs against 35 secs. Just do it?

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

How about posting the kernel panic

...preferable three separate reports in three separate "Additional Text" box for ease of reading and comparison, and see if there is an establish a trend .(see menu below.)

Kernel Panic reports can be found /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

From the Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy and paste:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Mar 27, 2022 8:42 AM in response to leroydouglas

Panic report

Sorry i already migrated to another drive, not being Thunderbolt . . and specifically, a PCIe3 one.

It works of course well, but I am juts running this for an hour.

Additionally: I saw that there is a problem with Adobe Elements. I should re-install it as there is something missing. (actually I never bought the license, have Photoshop) so maybe delete the whole Elements

And I had power nap on with the Thunderbolt drive - might that give an error once in a while where the Thunderbolt is charged from outside PD charger; or from a USB-4 port, and hence power status might not be aligned? Just a strange guess.

I have 'Kernel stack memory corruption detected'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.