Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 iMac kernel panics after Catalina upgrade

I just want to document my issue here in case some people have the same problem.

I had a fully functioning computer running Mojave 10.14.6. I'm a video editor and have an older external thunderbolt 1 drive for my media (OWC Mercury Elite Pro Duo) hooked up to the mac via apple's usbc to thunderbolt adapter. Also lots of other usb peripherals and a second monitor with a usbc-dvi setup. So iMac was working fine on Mojave and I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Catalina 10.15.5. The next morning (I updated it in the evening) the machine started having constant kernel panics (iMac locks up...black screen...reboot saying the system encountered a problem). This happened again and again.

Long story short it was the OWC thunderbolt 1 drive. Catalina did something that borked this drive or did something to the thunderbolt controller that the drive doesn't like. MAYBE the drive was just about to die anyway and it's a coincidence. I haven't tested another thunderbolt drive yet. For now am continuing my work just using a USB drive.

In my troubleshooting I was able to rule out software, the internal SSDs, the ram, and all the peripherals. When i'd exhausted all that it turns out taking that drive out of play solved the problem. The crashes also occured on a new install of Mojave (10.14.6) on this machine on a different boot volume. So it's something the Catalina install did that seems irreversible.

My specs:

iMac 18,3 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 6:46 AM

At the end of the day yesterday I tried a different thunderbolt cable with the drive and....it works! So after losing a day of work troubleshooting everything else, turns out it was just the cable. It was an older 6' cable from OWC (actually longer than 6'...it's 79") so maybe the length was the problem? Using a shorter cable from OWC works fine so far. It's amazing so much trouble was caused by one cable.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 6:46 AM in response to jcmcnamee

At the end of the day yesterday I tried a different thunderbolt cable with the drive and....it works! So after losing a day of work troubleshooting everything else, turns out it was just the cable. It was an older 6' cable from OWC (actually longer than 6'...it's 79") so maybe the length was the problem? Using a shorter cable from OWC works fine so far. It's amazing so much trouble was caused by one cable.

2017 iMac kernel panics after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.