Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Kernel panic

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro 13" Thunderbolt 3 version running Catalina 10.15.7. The MBP spends most of its time as a desktop computer linked to a fairly ancient (c. 10 years old) 27" Apple Cinema Display via a Caldigit USB-C dock 206/17 vintage (now superseded). I also run an Apple USB SuperDrive from the Caldigit.

This set up has run entirely reliably for several years until a few days ago when I started getting recurrent kernel panics and subsequent restarts very frequently (5 to 30 minutes apart.) These stopped occurring when I unhooked the MBP from the Caldigit leading me to think that that it was the Caldigit that was at fault. However when I plug the MBP into the mains via the standard power adapter the problem recurs, leading me to think it is something to do with the Thunderbolt ports/bus.

Other things I have tried/done are:

Swapping the cable around different Thunderbolt ports but it makes no difference

Downloading the latest Catalina security update. This seemed to take longer than I expected with a number of screen outages prior to it completing. I had the MBP running on the power adapter during the update but subsequently withdrew it whereupon the update completed. I have discovered an update crash log in the diagnostics folder which I am including

Starting up in recovery mode and running disk first aid over my hard drive (completed successfully but seemed to identify various issues)

Updating the Caldigit Docking Station Utility software to the latest, Catalina-compliant, versions

Downloaded and run EtreCheck, which has identified a major issue with a process that is using a large percentage of CPU

The problem didn't seem to related to any software update or other configuration change that I am aware of.

Also worth mentioning is that even in the brief periods when the MBP is running and attached the Caldigit I no longer can access the ethernet port, whereas ethernet is reliably available via my Belkin ethernet to USB-C adapter when plugged into one of the MBP's Thunderbolt port.

I am attaching the EtreCheck report, plus two recent relevant crash logs in the hope that someone can help me identify the problem. Thank you in anticipation.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 3:23 PM

Thanks for you kind words.

Brainstorming, sometimes with multiple contributors, is what these forums are best at. Having other folks with different perspectives, all making "crazy" suggestions can get everyone thinking.

<<If you have any thoughts about how to get Time Machine working again>>

Repair the Time machine backup drive with Disk Utility, or ADD an additional drive and start a new backup, or both.

When you have multiple drives going, every-other backup goes to every-other drive. Each drive is its own stand-alone backup set, and drives can be retired or carried off site at any time with impunity.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 3:23 PM in response to Garagiste

Thanks for you kind words.

Brainstorming, sometimes with multiple contributors, is what these forums are best at. Having other folks with different perspectives, all making "crazy" suggestions can get everyone thinking.

<<If you have any thoughts about how to get Time Machine working again>>

Repair the Time machine backup drive with Disk Utility, or ADD an additional drive and start a new backup, or both.

When you have multiple drives going, every-other backup goes to every-other drive. Each drive is its own stand-alone backup set, and drives can be retired or carried off site at any time with impunity.

Jan 2, 2021 10:57 AM in response to Garagiste

At least some of your wounds self-inflicted:

Antivirus software: Apple and Sophos

>>>Remove Sophos Anti-Virus (using manufacturer's un-installer) and NEVER re-install it.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

Directory /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports is not accessible.

Enable Full Drive Access to see more information.

End of report

>>>launch Etrecheck, change its internal prefernces to "enable full Disk Access" then say "GO".

... you will get a digest of recent diagnostic information appended to the end of your report.

Jan 3, 2021 4:53 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant

Your prompt reply appreciated and I have acted on your recommendations. However it has made no difference to my problem. I have now:

Uninstalled Sophos using the manufacturer's uninstaller

Uninstalled and/or trashed other minor programmes I don't use, principally DropBox

Granted Etrecheck full disk access and upgraded to the Power User version and then re-run the check after Sophos was deleted This has cured the excessive CPU usage issues and left me with only minor issues, which I judge non-critical

My MBP continues to function normally under battery power and connected to the Ethernet via my Belkin USB-C to Ethernet adapter. However as soon as I introduce mains power, via any Thunderbolt port, it crashes within minutes and restarts.

The latest EtreCheck report and latest crash log report attached. Thank you and anyone else again anticipation for any help or insight you can offer.

Jan 3, 2021 12:35 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant

I have uninstalled video guard 7, 8 & 9 with no apparent impact on Citrix functionality.

Have attempted to 'back up now' and that has crashed the MBP immediately, despite not being plugged into the power cable. Relevant log attached. This is making me think that something to do with Time Machine is the root cause. Time Machine is active by default only when the power cable is plugged in, which I think may be leading me to the wrong diagnosis. Am going to try turning it off.

Your comments on the latest crash log welcome and appreciated.

Jan 3, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Garagiste

These are general observations, not related to your kernel panic.

you have Citrix video guard 7, 8, 9, and 10 loaded. Do you need any of these?

You have a bunch of stuff running all the time in the background that probably should only be running on-demand:

You have dropbox running at all times -- it will scan your files and the files on the web non-stop when you run it this way -- it is as bad as a virus scanner. Most people should run this only on demand, if at all.

You have not connected your backup drive in too many days. When you put it off more than every-other day, it clogs up your Boot drive with snapshots, and may take longer to complete your backups when it runs.

Jan 3, 2021 11:09 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant

Thanks for these further useful suggestions, which I appreciate. On your points:

Citrix is necessary for my remote working from the office as it allows me to work in my office desktop environment from my Mac. What 'Videoguard' is I'm not exactly sure but I assume it is a necessary component

Dropbox I have now de-installed and its no longer appearing in my Activity Monitor

I use Time Machine for regular backups to a Time Capsule. However this is configured only to work when the power cable is attached. If I do this the MBP will crash, more than likely in mid-backup. My last backup was December 30

Other than what you mention, I have also tried booting in Safe Mode, but the problem still occurs i.e. when I plug in the power cable to one of my Thunderbolt ports, the machine crashes within minutes.

I am out of ideas!

Jan 3, 2021 11:30 AM in response to Garagiste

You clearly don't need four different versions (10, 9, 8 nd 7) of that videoguard software, some of which are loading at the same time.

User Launch Agents:

[Loaded] com.cisco.videoguard10.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Loaded] com.cisco.videoguard10.uninstall.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Loaded] com.cisco.videoguard7.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Loaded] com.cisco.videoguard7.uninstall.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Loaded] com.cisco.videoguard8.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Loaded] com.cisco.videoguard8.uninstall.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Loaded] com.cisco.videoguard9.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Loaded] com.cisco.videoguard9.uninstall.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Other] com.cisco.videoguardmonitor.plist (? 0 - installed 2020-09-21)

[Loaded] com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist (Dropbox, Inc. - installed 2020-11-14)

[Loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2020-10-19)

[Loaded] com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2020-10-19)

[Not Loaded] com.hp.devicemonitor.plist (HP Inc. - installed 2020-12-21)

Jan 3, 2021 1:53 PM in response to Garagiste

Grant

I think I have solved the problem: it's Time Machine-related. I have turned Time Machine off (well technically un-toggled 'Back up automatically' - they have changed the way it looks in Catalina). The MBP is no longer crashing.

I had mis-diagnosed the problem as something to do with the power cable being plugged in whereas in fact this was coincidental with the fact that Time Machine only does planned back ups when the cable is connected.

I wouldn't have thought of this had it not been for our valuable dialogue and your comment about accumulated backups clogging the boot disk.

If you have any thoughts about how to get Time Machine working again I would appreciate that. I could for instance just delete the backup bundle file and start again as I have no obvious need for previous backups. Or is there an alternative?

Either way you have been tremendously helpful to me today. I have learned a lot and very much appreciate it.

MBP Kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.