Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Mail App > Can't add Internet Account

I am experiencing an odd issue and I have seen similar but different issues/solutions posted in the community. I'll do my best to explain the scenario:

I don't recall doing anything different/odd with my Gmail account (no recent password changes, etc.) yet the Mail app on my MacBook Air thinks my internet is down. The funny thing is everything else is working and my wife's Internet Account is fine (logs in on the same Macbook and her Mail App is functioning properly). I've tried resolving through the Connection Doctor and then did the nuclear option by removing the account and completely re-adding...to no avail. Below are the screens I am seeing when I launch the Mail App under my Internet Account:

Note: I do have all of my iCloud stuff setup and working fine also

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 6:30 AM

Quick update: I already discovered the issue. NORTON Safe Plus Web products. I received this app package as part of my work benefits. While I appreciate the need to protect private information, these companies should do more testing on their stuff before they release it. Be careful if you use this product. It breaks Mail if you don't deactivate in your Wi-Fi > Network settings.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2022 6:30 AM in response to awbrown2056

Quick update: I already discovered the issue. NORTON Safe Plus Web products. I received this app package as part of my work benefits. While I appreciate the need to protect private information, these companies should do more testing on their stuff before they release it. Be careful if you use this product. It breaks Mail if you don't deactivate in your Wi-Fi > Network settings.

Mar 27, 2022 6:42 AM in response to awbrown2056

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS in-order to replace any modified, altered, removed or corrupted elements of the OS this software has inflected on this computer 

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Please take a moment to read some of the first 600 posting on this specific Application.

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

MacOS Mail App > Can't add Internet Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.