Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect a new iMac (24 inches) to a new MacBook Air for screen extension?

I have an iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) and a MacBook Air (M1, 2020). I’d like to extend my iMac’s screen onto the MacBook air.

What cable do I need to be able to do this?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 11:12 AM

Hi!

Here is a useful link to how to connect them: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You will also need a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable, but check the link to be sure.

Hope this helps!

3 replies

Mar 29, 2022 4:58 AM in response to Tatianaalva

Since the late 2014 iMac, none of them can be used as a display.

Since early 2020, no Mac can connect to any Target Display Mode capable iMac.

So, out of luck.

While not being able to use as a display, if both Macs are running Monterey 12.3, you can move back and for from one Mac to another with a mouse or the trackpad with Universal Control.

One other option, depending on your usage, is Screen Sharing. You can view the MacBook Air as a window on the iMac via ethernet network.

How to connect a new iMac (24 inches) to a new MacBook Air for screen extension?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.