Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" new iMac will not shut down properly because it "thinks" there's still a CD to be ejected--which there isn't!

Here's the error message when I try to shut down. Clicking accomplishes nothing. I can shut it off manually, but that's not the way it should. This seemed to start when I unsuccessfully tried to burn a CD--perhaps the external drive was not compatible with Monterey. In fact, afterwards I had trouble putting the desktop CD icons into the trash--I had to transfer them to documents and trash them from there. Apple tells me it has to go to the shop. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 7:28 AM

Well, guess what. It occurred to me to unplug the computer. And that solved the problem!! It needed a power reset. So after thirty years of using computers, I forgot the important lesson that sometimes the simplest and most obvious solution is the best one. That was the case when I started, and it's still the case today.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 7:28 AM in response to mengel419

Well, guess what. It occurred to me to unplug the computer. And that solved the problem!! It needed a power reset. So after thirty years of using computers, I forgot the important lesson that sometimes the simplest and most obvious solution is the best one. That was the case when I started, and it's still the case today.

Mar 27, 2022 10:51 AM in response to mengel419

Maybe use the Recover Panel to reinstall the OS? If Apple says it needs to be serviced, it might not be so drastic a move to do it. Doing so from the recovery panel will not affect your apps, settings, data or user accounts.

Maybe you need to have the external drive attached to shut down properly. Or if it is attached, unplugging it may do the trick.

27" new iMac will not shut down properly because it "thinks" there's still a CD to be ejected--which there isn't!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.