Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A spam text message appeared from myself

In the text thread for my own contact profile—the thread where messages show up if I send a text message to my phone number—a message showed with a phishing link, that I didn’t send.

It says below it “Not shown in Shared with You”.

All of the other texts I’ve sent to myself in the past are above it. This is in the actual thread for my own contact profile.

It only shows up once, on the left side in grey, as if I received it. Every other text in this thread (that I did actually send to myself) shows up twice—once on the right in blue when I sent it, and a second time on the left in grey when I received it. This one only shows up on the left in grey.

How is this possible?

I have two factor authentication enabled, so I know that nobody has signed in to my Apple ID externally.

I also know with certainty that nobody has physically gained unauthorized accessed to any of my devices.

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 6:19 AM

Greetings Billyeee,

I JUST had this happen as well - 3/28/2022. I am blown away at this, as I don't understand how this is possible either. It says it came in as a "text message", and it is SPAM. I typically text myself things to remember, so I already have a text chain with items on the right side (that I send to myself) and then the same item on the left (which is the message I received). For this, it is only on the left - which is strange AND more importantly concerning!

I want to figure this out quickly as it seems like it is FROM MY CELL number (since it is labeled as "text message" - and is not an imessage).

The timing is VERY ironic, that you just posted this as well. Looks like some cell phone spoofing is underway.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks,

DaveR

Similar questions

85 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2022 6:19 AM in response to Billyeee

Greetings Billyeee,

I JUST had this happen as well - 3/28/2022. I am blown away at this, as I don't understand how this is possible either. It says it came in as a "text message", and it is SPAM. I typically text myself things to remember, so I already have a text chain with items on the right side (that I send to myself) and then the same item on the left (which is the message I received). For this, it is only on the left - which is strange AND more importantly concerning!

I want to figure this out quickly as it seems like it is FROM MY CELL number (since it is labeled as "text message" - and is not an imessage).

The timing is VERY ironic, that you just posted this as well. Looks like some cell phone spoofing is underway.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks,

DaveR

Mar 28, 2022 10:07 AM in response to Billyeee

And this from Apple:

Thank you for reporting a suspected phishing email to Apple. This message was automatically generated in response to your report to let you know that we received it. Please don’t reply to this message. 

If you think you might have entered personal information like a password or credit card info on a scam website, immediately change your Apple ID password.

Scammers use any means they can—fake emails, pop-up ads, text messages, even phone calls—to try to trick you into sharing your information, like your Apple ID password or credit card number.

To help protect your personal information, use two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, and never share your Apple ID password or temporary verification codes with anyone.

Learn more about security and your Apple ID.

Learn how to protect yourself from phishing and other scams.

Mar 29, 2022 10:37 AM in response to Billyeee

Maybe Russian spam effort as some reported the link takes you to Russian TV broadcast. I’m tired of spam, why are we the ones that are left to figure this out?

Verizon has a thread on this and their support responded that it’s aware of the issue and that it’s spoofing that they have notified the FCC about. They recommended that we complain to FCC and provided the link to the complaint page. I provided the long url below. They also recommend their spam filtering but not clear how to filter your own phone #. Below is a screen shot of their response. Maybe check with your carrier for same? Best wishes to all and stay safe! -Sean

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Mar 28, 2022 8:46 AM in response to mbethfp

Exact same message here on my wife’s phone. Never seen this before and can’t really explain it… spam text “from” her and sent to herself.

Could it just be a coincidence? Someone spoofing her phone number and spamming a range of numbers, one of which happens to be hers?

Possibly of interest: opening that URL on a test mule brings me to themoscowtimes.com via a redirect from flagshipsteak.com. So it goes as follows:

* refp34.xyz

* flagshipsteak.com

* takeoneforlove.com

* themoscowtimes.com

What the **** is going on here?

Mar 28, 2022 8:43 AM in response to Billyeee

Another victim here. Thought I'd seen it all, but this approach of spoofing my own # is new to me.

Could an expert please confirm my understanding:

1 - Spoofing my number means that they can only Send a message from my number. They cannot receive replies sent to my number. Right??

2 - Is there any way to know if in addition to my number, they have my name? Or is that only likely/possible *IF* I were to click the link and provide it to them? (which I have NOT done) In other words, is it possible that they could impersonate me by name, AND send a message to others? For example, send a text to someone else, and invoke my name to legitimize that the message is really from me.

The latter is the biggest worry I have. If this scenario is possible, I'd immediately alert my contacts to warn them.

Mar 28, 2022 9:59 AM in response to Billyeee

SMS spoofing can change the name and mobile number of the original sender. This means that you as a receiver can't know who the original sender of the text is. Although there are many good reasons for SMS spoofing, many scammers are using the technique to take advantage of unsuspecting individuals.

https://calleridreputation.com › blog

SMS Spoofing Scams Target Reputable Organizations

That being said, can someone send a text from your number? Absolutely. There are many ways to spoof the outbound number, both for a call and a text. Most VoIP providers allow the user to set their outbound ID.

https://www.quora.com › Can-some...

Can someone use my name and phone number to send a text to ...

A spam text message appeared from myself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.