Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate One Touch issues on MacBook Pro M1 2020 Monterey.

I've purchased a Seagate One Touch HDD a couple of weeks ago. It was meant to be used for time machine backup as I needed to migrate my files to a new Mac. Despite having some issues with the connectivity, I've managed to backup my Mac and transferred my files after some struggles. During the process, there were clicking sounds coming from the drive. After successfully migrated my files, I sent the HDD for an exchange as I thought the problem was with the HDD.

Fast forward to this week, I received a brand new HDD from Seagate. Having learned that I can actually partition the drive for Time machine and normal file storage, I did the partition successfully and managed to complete a backup to my time machine. Not long after, the clicking sound came back and now I got prompted with the "MacOS can't repair the disk" error when plugged in and my partitioned drive for Time Machine is greyed out on Disk Utility.

Am I doing anything wrong? Should I get my Mac check? I'm connecting the HDD using Mazer USB-C to 3 Port Hub with LAN Port. I have yet to test it on other Mac and USB hub and I don't have the extra hardwares at the moment.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 10:59 AM

TimeMachine should be set up with a dedicated, single purpose, drive.

If you've installed Seagate software, uninstall it. Your Mac does not need it.

If still problems, erase the drive choosing the appropriate format and try again.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Seagate One Touch issues on MacBook Pro M1 2020 Monterey.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.