Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is repair worth it?

Is installing a new display at $770 worth is on a four year old 16 inch mac book pro

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 10:21 AM

2 replies

Mar 28, 2022 10:38 AM in response to Iwanttoplaymymusic

Apple replaced my 2016 MBP logic board for $568US and it's been flawless for well over a year now.

I guess it boils down to two things:

is it a strain on your budget to do so? it wasn't for me.

And at what point, cost wise, is it better to go ahead and spring for a new Mac. My personal break point is 60%. If the cost to repair is 60% or greater of the cost of a new one, I get a new device ... whatever it is.

You have to make the call, but I would get it replaced.

Mar 28, 2022 7:37 PM in response to Iwanttoplaymymusic

Probably not, unless your current display is extremely flawed.

When Apple repairs components on a Mac, it replaces entire sub-systems (such as the entire display), not just the faulty component (such as a broken cable). This is why Apple-provided repairs are extremely expensive.

You might want to consider getting your Mac evaluated at a reputable third-party repair shop. They might be able to repair or replace just the faulty component at a much cheaper price. That said, please note that only Apple-authorized repairs are covered by an Apple-provided warranty. Third-party repairs are NOT covered by warranty.

Is repair worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.