Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt display blinking on new Mac Studio

My Mac Studio arrives before my display, so I figured I work off my thunderbolt monitor in the meantime. This monitor was my secondary display from my iMac. I plugged it in via the adapter and it cuts off every 2-4 seconds (blinking off and on). I tested the monitor on my intel laptop and no issues. Works fine on my iMac as well. Could there be something wrong with my Mac Studio?

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 8:54 AM

Apple Cinema Thunderbolt Display. Using a new authentic Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. No docs, no preferirlas. Just straight into the Mac. I have a call scheduled in a hour with Apple Support, let’s see what they say.

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 29, 2022 9:16 AM in response to armando_e

That setup is supposed to be well supported.

The ThunderBolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter does not support any other kinds of display beyond genuine ThunderBolt displays (even with adapters), but genuine ThunderBolt displays are said to be well supported.

--------

The ThunderBolt display is sometimes mistaken for the Apple Cinema Display LED that has a two-headed cable with Mini DisplayPort and USB-A ends in one cable assembly. The one is NOT supposed by the ThunderBolt adapter.

Mar 29, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

On a side note, after I plugged in the monitor on initial set up (hello screen) and noticed the blinking, I thought that if I migrated my data over from my Time Machine that maybe it might help. I began the process and about a quarter of the way through, migration assistant stopped with some memory error (I did not note the exact error). I had to force quit and restart. I don’t think the issues are related but so far I haven’t had much luck with this machine out the box.

Thunderbolt display blinking on new Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.