Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I use my iMac as a monitor?

I have a 27inch late'13 iMac and a new MB pro M1Max. This is very unfortunate, specially from an environmental point of view.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 8:41 AM

Yout M1 is too new. The issue is laid out in the system reqs for TDM that are in the article you came from, linked above your name:

Also note the iMac acting as external monitor cannot be running higher than macOS 10.13. Yours appears to have 10.15. You can downgrade the iMac to High Sierra but you cannot downgrade the M1 to an Intel processor or Catalina.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 8:41 AM in response to ace-einarsson

Yout M1 is too new. The issue is laid out in the system reqs for TDM that are in the article you came from, linked above your name:

Also note the iMac acting as external monitor cannot be running higher than macOS 10.13. Yours appears to have 10.15. You can downgrade the iMac to High Sierra but you cannot downgrade the M1 to an Intel processor or Catalina.

Why can't I use my iMac as a monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.