Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate Portable HD won't work with Monterey?

Since upgrading my MacBook Pro to iOS Monterey, my Seagate Portable hard drive won't work. It shows up when I go to disk utilities but it won't show up on my desktop or back up using Time Machine. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 2:34 PM

Make sure it is formatted in a mac OS compatible file system

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

It is possible it is formated as NTFS and you previusly used some third party software to be able to write to it.

If this is not the case. It could still be worth it to reformat it. But in any case make sure you move any content you want to keep out of the disk using another computer first.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 2:34 PM in response to halleckd

Make sure it is formatted in a mac OS compatible file system

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

It is possible it is formated as NTFS and you previusly used some third party software to be able to write to it.

If this is not the case. It could still be worth it to reformat it. But in any case make sure you move any content you want to keep out of the disk using another computer first.

Apr 14, 2022 1:13 PM in response to halleckd

You are not the only one having this problem; that happened to me after upgrading to Monterey, so I went back to Catalina and am still having the same problem. Never ever had an issue using Mojave. Others have written about as well. I watched a good Youtube last night, followed the instructions, and the Seagate seems to be working better now (fingers crossed). Had to go into Recovery to be able to erase, format in APFS. Now there are containers that are added in Catalina and Monterey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caYfZWyN4CQ

Seagate Portable HD won't work with Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.