Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel_task CPU usage with external display (2022)

I have a problem with my 16-inch MacBook.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i9 octa-core

32GB 2667MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB

Monterey OS 12.3

When connecting an external monitor with direct usb-c to hdmi cable, without doing any GPU-related and more routine work, such as: using web applications, developer on visual code and IntelliJ, Skype (audio/video) conferencing, Mac Mail and safari.

After a short time of use the CPU kernel_task increases to over 1000% and stays there when connected to an external monitor (ASUS VG27VQ).

It doesn't happen immediately, but mostly after working for a short time. (using native and secondary display). If I unplug the display it immediately resolves the issue and the kernel drops to 9% normal usage but that is not a long term solution... but immediately ramps back up if I reconnect the display.

The fan makes a lot of noise and the notebook is hot including the touch bar.

The main problem is not that it gets hot or the fan is noisy, the problem is that my macbook pro becomes practically unusable I can't use it.

It also happens with other displays (HDMI to USB-C cable) I have tried multiple adapters and nothing solves the problem, including reading the 270 pages of solutions on the forum:

MacBook 16-inch Fan Noise - Apple Community

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks.

Luis.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 3:09 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

kernel_task CPU usage with external display (2022)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.