Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External HD on Mac suddenly won't mount...???

Not sure what happened...Tried a bunch of stuff (repair, different ports, terminal to force mount, resetting the pram) to try and repair the volume using Terminal, Disk Utility.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, this baby won't mount and I can't repair in disk utility. I don't get it. I've never had a problem with it. It's in good condition, I keep it safe and undamaged. Not a tech genius, but I can follow directions. This shouldn't be happening. I've tried different ports on my usb hub, nothing is helping me fix it.

I'm on MacOS Monterey 12.3. My Macbook Air is 2 years old, 2020. The Seagate drive has plenty of space. So frustrating. I can't erase it, it's got all my photos, etc. Any ideas? Please help!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 8:08 PM

ExternalHDonMAC Said:

"External HD on Mac suddenly won't mount...???: [...]The Seagate drive has plenty of space. So frustrating. I can't erase it, it's got all my photos, etc. Any ideas? Please help!"

-------

Mount this in Revery Mode:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) , go to Disk Utility, and then see if you can mount it. Once mounted, see if it is then accessible once you log in normally.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 8:08 PM in response to ExternalHDonMAC

ExternalHDonMAC Said:

"External HD on Mac suddenly won't mount...???: [...]The Seagate drive has plenty of space. So frustrating. I can't erase it, it's got all my photos, etc. Any ideas? Please help!"

-------

Mount this in Revery Mode:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) , go to Disk Utility, and then see if you can mount it. Once mounted, see if it is then accessible once you log in normally.

Apr 21, 2022 3:55 PM in response to Norm Amst

ExternalHDonMAC Said:

"External HD on Mac suddenly won't mount...???: [...]This started several days ago and I've been trying to figure out the problem. Appears a lot of people are having this same problem[...]"

-------

Report this to Apple:

I've seen recent reports of this. So, report it to Apple Support though use of Apple Feedback...

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your this. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback thy receive from its users, the more likely they will know what issues are occurring, and what fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - Notes - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Desktop/Finder/Filesystem" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: on when you came across this issue, and how you have troubleshot it thus far. Include the URL of this post in your feedback
  5. Proceed from there as necessary.

Apr 21, 2022 9:57 AM in response to TheLittles

I tried to mount in recovery mode and my My Passport for Mac drive still would not mount. I can view the drive in Disk Utility but it is greyed out. If I right click I can run mount but get error -49218. I tried to do a repair and get error -69845. I ran Western Digital utilities on the drive and it does not find any problems with the drive. This started several days ago and I've been trying to figure out the problem. Appears a lot of people are having this same problem, I've tried every suggested fix except reformatting the drive, I think all my file/folders are there I just can't mount to see. I have a M1 MacBook Pro 16g, memory and installed the most recent software v12.3.1 when it was first available and did not have this problem. Don't know why it all of a sudden stopped working.....

Norm

External HD on Mac suddenly won't mount...???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.