Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Standard user privilege

Hello,

I have created an additional standard user. Why do the messages about the installation of a system update appear for this user, although as far as I know a standard user is not allowed to make such an installation?

Wouldn't it be better if only the admin user saw these messages?

Thank you

Guenter

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 3:51 AM

As long as the Administrator Account is Logged into - notifications of an update may appear even in s Standard Account user.

Only the Administrator Account can be used to Install the update.

Be aware, the download of the update will require the Admin of the computer to manually Input the Admin Account Password Before the update will be permitted to even download.

Again, the Admin Password will be required to Allow the Update to even commence the Installation Process

If you use an iPhone or iPad - the above two passwords requirements for any update falls in line with the iOS procedures to perform the same update process.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2022 3:51 AM in response to Guenterm

As long as the Administrator Account is Logged into - notifications of an update may appear even in s Standard Account user.

Only the Administrator Account can be used to Install the update.

Be aware, the download of the update will require the Admin of the computer to manually Input the Admin Account Password Before the update will be permitted to even download.

Again, the Admin Password will be required to Allow the Update to even commence the Installation Process

If you use an iPhone or iPad - the above two passwords requirements for any update falls in line with the iOS procedures to perform the same update process.

Mar 30, 2022 1:30 AM in response to Guenterm

Guenterm wrote:

Hello,
I have created an additional standard user. Why do the messages about the installation of a system update appear for this user, although as far as I know a standard user is not allowed to make such an installation?
Wouldn't it be better if only the admin user saw these messages?

Thank you

Guenter

Had the Admin Account user Logged Out of their account when the Standard User received notifications of System Updates ?

Mar 30, 2022 1:47 AM in response to PRP_53

Hello,

no the admin user was logged in but locked, during my wife worked as standard user. Because I'm a not so experienced Mac user I just wondered why she got's this message, and I didn't know if the update will be installed when she confirms the update.

Possibilty 1 she will get a message that it isn't allowed and nothing happens

Possibilty 2 she will install the update by confirming, but that will not make me really happy :-)

best regards

Guenter

Standard user privilege

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.