Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" (late 2009) problem reinstalling Mac OS X Tiger OS

I would like to use my old iMac 27" (late 2009) for very basic email and internet but I'm having a problem reinstalling Mac OS X Tiger OS using an install disc - which may just be an upgrade or from another apple computer, having owned 7 or 8 over the years and not the original boxed disc...

I am more than happy to erase the 3Gb hard drive. I've tried downloading from the OS X Utilities page but after downloading I get another page stating

"OS X could not be installed on your computer - No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again."

I have tried again and again but no joy...

Do I have to find the original version OS disc that came with the computer and start from the beginning or can I download the original OS from Apple to a USB stick and boot from that?

Also could you remind me how I boot up from a disc, hold down C or smoother combination of letter and buttons?

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 8:42 AM

Look for the original 2 Disc set or better yet, the Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD that you used to upgrade from Tiger.

Use a USB keyboard and startup from the install disc or upgrade dvd using either the C or Option key.

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 30, 2022 8:39 AM in response to Kenilo

You cannot install an earlier version of Mac OS than originally shipped with the computer. Tiger stopped shipping with new Macs in about 2007, 2008 time frame. You will need to either locate the original DVDs that shipped with your 2009 or if you can find them on EBay order a Snow Leopard upgrade DVD, the white one. DO NOT buy a copy of one, only purchase an original one so be careful and ask. On such an old computer (it's close to 14 years old!!) , you may want to consider recycling it and buy a more up-to-date Mac.

Also, please do not post personal information such as serial numbers, email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers etc.. in a public forum. I have asked the moderator to remove your SN info.

Mar 30, 2022 9:03 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your help, the Tiger dvd is the only disc I have found so far but still looking... I've never throw out any of the original discs but unfortunately have just misplaced them (my old age!). As for the 14 year old iMac, it has stood gathering dust since it was replaced by a new 27" iMac in late 2014 - which is still going strong!

As I said, If I can get this 2009 one going it will be used in our workshop just for emails and occasional internet. Like many others, I'm waiting for the M2 iMac release from Apple, hopefully this year?

Apologises for the personal info, I just thought it might help others verify my computers version without all of the follow up questions. Thanks for asking the moderator to remove the sn.

Apr 5, 2022 4:08 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi, so following on from your recommendations, I purchased a genuine Apple Snow Leopard dvd from eBay and put it into the drive. It made a few clicks etc for a number of minutes and then spat itself out… I purchased a SSD and using my mid 2009 MacBook Pro managed to download El Capitan, as this was the OS software running on the MBP. After it had completed downloading from Apple reinstall, I switched the SSD over to the faulty iMac and installed it. After booting up I was presented with a light blue screen which informed me that some of the files weee missing (a Windows file?) and promptly shutdown. Not only this my MBP restarted and reinstalled El Capitan too, wiping (I think) all the data on my MBP, I have yet to get to see if this so because I now cannot use the touch pad or mouse to click on my log on icon to open the thing! After 6 x 5 hr days trying to reinstall my OS to my 2009 I am at a loss what to do next? As the DVD would not load, is the super drive shot? Is there something to stop me back tracking to a previous OS? As far as I know my original hard drive is erased. I can still get internet and BBC news works, which eliminates a graphic card problem. The only apps I can get are disc utility and install disc (which is blank). As a 66 year old guy this is beginning to drive me a little crazy! Any further suggestions to fixing the things? You seem to be the head poncho at the moment and any help would be appreciated.

Apr 5, 2022 4:20 PM in response to Kenilo

It has been many years since I used the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD. Put the Snow Leopard DVD in the SuperDrive and try restarting while holding down Command + A. If memory serves me that command will boot from the DVD. Please remember because you are dealing with such a relic there may be time where it is time to throw in the towel and have Apple recycle the thing rather than spend any more time and money on it.

Apr 5, 2022 5:17 PM in response to Kenilo

Use a USB keyboard and hold the Alt (option) key. That should take you to the Startup Manager where should be able to see any and all bootable Media. (macOS on the Internal drive, the DVD in the SuperDrive or an attached USB drive installer)

FWIW your not that old, I’m closer to 67 than 66 and I pretty sure that rkaufmann87 is about the same.

iMac 27" (late 2009) problem reinstalling Mac OS X Tiger OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.