Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet downloaded apps cause my Macbook to crash and restart

Hello, I have a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro (8gbs memory). I have had an issue with crashing/restarting on my computer nearly since I bought it and even took it to the Apple store. At the Apple store, they were not able to diagnose any hardware issues and so they wiped the software and started clean. However, when I re-downloaded my apps from the internet (specifically Zoom and Origin), my Macbook started crashing again. I have deleted both apps and it seems to be running fine now. I also have started to use Chrome instead of Safari because it seemed that it was crashing while using Safari as well. I wanted to know if my Internet downloaded apps could be the cause of the crashing and if there is a fix to the problem? I don't want to limited in apps I can use on my Macbook.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 9:01 AM

zgg1029 wrote:

Hello, I have a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro (8gbs memory). I have had an issue with crashing/restarting on my computer nearly since I bought it and even took it to the Apple store. At the Apple store, they were not able to diagnose any hardware issues and so they wiped the software and started clean. However, when I re-downloaded my apps from the internet (specifically Zoom and Origin), my Macbook started crashing again.

I have deleted both apps and it seems to be running fine now. I also have started to use Chrome instead of Safari because it seemed that it was crashing while using Safari as well. I wanted to know if my Internet downloaded apps could be the cause of the crashing and if there is a fix to the problem? I don't want to limited in apps I can use on my Macbook.

crashing and kernel panics—

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 9:01 AM in response to zgg1029

zgg1029 wrote:

Hello, I have a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro (8gbs memory). I have had an issue with crashing/restarting on my computer nearly since I bought it and even took it to the Apple store. At the Apple store, they were not able to diagnose any hardware issues and so they wiped the software and started clean. However, when I re-downloaded my apps from the internet (specifically Zoom and Origin), my Macbook started crashing again.

I have deleted both apps and it seems to be running fine now. I also have started to use Chrome instead of Safari because it seemed that it was crashing while using Safari as well. I wanted to know if my Internet downloaded apps could be the cause of the crashing and if there is a fix to the problem? I don't want to limited in apps I can use on my Macbook.

crashing and kernel panics—

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Internet downloaded apps cause my Macbook to crash and restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.