Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to a server while using a VPN

Hiya!

Fairly new to MacOS and coming from Windows. Decided to use this new laptop as my work from home machine for comfort but, while getting everything ready, I ended up facing one issue:

I can't seem to connect to a server (through the Go > Connect to Server) to access its shared folders.

Once I get the connection going it gets stuck in an endless connecting attempt and doesn't do anything else.

I don't know whether the stuff I'm going to list here makes a difference or not but I'll list it anyways:

Machine is a MacBook Air (2020, M1);

OS is Monterey 12.3;

I'm using a VPN;

It does not matter whether I use correct or completely wrong credentials during the authentication before connecting to the server, it will get stuck on connecting regardless of what I type in there;

I can ping the server and get a response;

Again, I'm really new to this (literally got my laptop today, I've always exclusively used Windows) so sorry if this is a simple one but I really can't seem to get it to work. Thanks to anyone that will try to help out!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 2:51 PM

There are two sorts of VPN apps in common use. One is intended for data collection and provides negligible improvements to connection security, while the other sort is intended to connect to the internal network of an affiliated organization. Which sort are you using, here? It seems the latter, but I’m not entirely certain of that.

Have you discussed remote file share access with your organization’s IT?

If you’re not seeing any differences with credentials, it would appear there’s no VPN connection, too.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2022 2:51 PM in response to LuhaM

There are two sorts of VPN apps in common use. One is intended for data collection and provides negligible improvements to connection security, while the other sort is intended to connect to the internal network of an affiliated organization. Which sort are you using, here? It seems the latter, but I’m not entirely certain of that.

Have you discussed remote file share access with your organization’s IT?

If you’re not seeing any differences with credentials, it would appear there’s no VPN connection, too.

Mar 30, 2022 2:57 PM in response to MrHoffman

Hey! Sorry, forgot to mention. It is indeed the latter.

I haven't discussed it with IT yet, I will tomorrow, however I was just checking if it could be on my end before asking.

I can access all of our stuff (Intranet, etc.) except shared folders so I guess it does work to some degree?

Anyways as I said, was just wondering whether this problem could be on my end but I guess I'll go ask IT tomorrow as well.

Mar 30, 2022 3:07 PM in response to LuhaM

IT may need to tweak some VPN-related setting related to the VPN or to your account on the remote network to allow your access.

Remote access to file shares does work, when appropriately configured at the target firewall and target VPN server.

Though it does not show a VPN server involvement, here’s an example of an SMB connection:

https://ag.montana.edu/it/support/smb-macs.html

Connecting to a server while using a VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.