Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

universal control mac doesn't work as described

Hi

I have two MacBooks (1 MacBookPro 2020, 1 MacBookAir 2018) and one iPad. both MacBoooks are on Monterey 12.3 and my iPad on 15.4. The keyboard and the mouse are with the MacBookPro. All devices run under the same AppleID, Blootooth is on, they are connected to the same network/router and disance is less the half a meter. Universal control between The MacBookPro and the iPad works fine although sometimes tricky to connect. However, with my MacBookAir it doesn't work at all. Both MacBooks don't see each other in the Display Settings (only the iPad appears).

Has anybody an idea, what I do wrong?

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 8:31 AM

achim888 wrote:

Hi
I have two MacBooks (1 MacBookPro 2020, 1 MacBookAir 2018) and one iPad. both MacBoooks are on Monterey 12.3 and my iPad on 15.4. The keyboard and the mouse are with the MacBookPro. All devices run under the same AppleID, Blootooth is on, they are connected to the same network/router and disance is less the half a meter. Universal control between The MacBookPro and the iPad works fine although sometimes tricky to connect. However, with my MacBookAir it doesn't work at all. Both MacBooks don't see each other in the Display Settings (only the iPad appears).

Universal Control —

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad - Apple Support

Verify your hardware is compatible —

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad - Apple Support

Verify Mac and iPad both are on the same wi-fi, both have blue tooth on—

and

Each device must be signed in with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication.

System Preferences, click Apple icon in upper left:

>System Preferences>Displays>Universal Control> Check first two boxes

—Allow your cursor and keyboard to move between my nearby Mac or iPad

—Push through the edge of a display to connect to a nearby Mac or iPad

reboot if necessary …

Still no luck—verify you have not blocked Universal Control in the Firewall settings:

>System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options... > Block all incoming connections unchecked

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 8:31 AM in response to achim888

achim888 wrote:

Hi

Universal Control —

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad

Verify your hardware is compatible —

Verify Mac and iPad both are on the same wi-fi, both have blue tooth on—

and

Each device must be signed in with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication.

System Preferences, click Apple icon in upper left:

>System Preferences>Displays>Universal Control> Check first two boxes

—Allow your cursor and keyboard to move between my nearby Mac or iPad

—Push through the edge of a display to connect to a nearby Mac or iPad

reboot if necessary …

Still no luck—verify you have not blocked Universal Control in the Firewall settings:

>System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options... > Block all incoming connections unchecked

universal control mac doesn't work as described

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.