Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Antivirus, malware, antiphishing, and VPN

Do I need to contract and install an antivirus to protect my MacBook Pro? Also, I need a VPN software that does not use a lot of computer resources and is as fast or faster than my internet service, any recommendations?

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 10:00 AM

Do not install third party apps that claim to protect, clean, boost performance, manage, etc. They are not needed and they may cause problems.

Do not install a VPN unless required to create a secure tunnel between you and your workplace or other institutional network. If use of a VPN is required, contact your workplace IT Staff and ask which client you should use with their VPN server.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 10:00 AM in response to ElZ0rr0

Do not install third party apps that claim to protect, clean, boost performance, manage, etc. They are not needed and they may cause problems.

Do not install a VPN unless required to create a secure tunnel between you and your workplace or other institutional network. If use of a VPN is required, contact your workplace IT Staff and ask which client you should use with their VPN server.

Mar 31, 2022 10:03 AM in response to ElZ0rr0

OUT. OUT. All of it including the VPN.

Your Wi-Fi is encrypted, your traffic going to most internet web sites is encrypted, you do NOT need a VPN you install yourself -- only the one to consider is when connecting to your Institution, and you consult your Institution for its installation and support.

VPN does NOT improve security, it just make your network connection more complex and lightens your wallet.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Antivirus, malware, antiphishing, and VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.