Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 battery is draining too fast

I bought an iPhone 8 from the Istore pre-owned in October 2021 and the battery health was perfect! It was on 100%.

Lately I’ve noticed that it’s dropping super fast and I’m needing to charge my phone all the time.

Yesterday my battery health was on 96% and now when I checked it (24 hrs later) it’s sitting on 92%.

I would really want to know how that is possible to happen basically over night? It’s absolutely ridiculous

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 12:15 PM

It’s not a real time reading. It updates in chunks. When you received it, the actual battery health might have been less than 100% but hadn’t updated yet.

My iPhone 7 has been sitting on 92% for about a year. I suspect it’s been decreasing without updating. Previously it changed 3 or 4% overnight.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 12:15 PM in response to sabeehah225

It’s not a real time reading. It updates in chunks. When you received it, the actual battery health might have been less than 100% but hadn’t updated yet.

My iPhone 7 has been sitting on 92% for about a year. I suspect it’s been decreasing without updating. Previously it changed 3 or 4% overnight.

Apr 2, 2022 3:26 PM in response to Alancito

Alancito wrote:
sabeehah225 wrote: "I bought an iPhone 8 from the Istore pre-owned in October 2021 and the battery health was perfect! It was on 100%
."
That implies the battery isn't the original one, and fast draining is possible if that Istore didn't use a genuine iPhone battery for replacement:

About genuine iPhone batteries

õ¿õ¬

That doesn't necessarily mean that. They might be selling "pre-owned" devices with the original battery that hasn't been replaced. I see a lot of different retailers selling their own "certified" devices. Amazon's "Renewed" devices are all sold with at least "90%" original battery health, but for iPhones that's likely based on what iOS is reading out.

The whole iOS battery health number isn't really something I rely on to indicate that a battery is at a particular state. It only provides limited guidance. I've seen it stuck at 100% for months, where I'm sure it dropped some. Some have claimed that they saw it stay on 100% for a year, even when the battery was fairly heavily used. It only tells me that it can stay stuck at a value for a while. I wouldn't rely on it to guide me on whether or not I should buy a device or if I should request a discount to help defray the costs of a new battery.

If I were going to really check out that battery health, I'd bring my Mac and check via Coconut Battery, which has access to the cycle count as well as what they call a "defensive" battery capacity reading.

iPhone 8 battery is draining too fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.