Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use my imac (2017) as a display for a macbookpro?

I have a macbook pro 2016 and an imac 21.5 inch 2017. I would like to use the iMac as a display. I have the latest version of Monterey on both. I have thunderbolt cable. So far the directions I have found online don't seem to work, though they were for High Sierra. Can this be done on Monterey with these macs? Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 6:43 PM

Roger Coupal wrote:

I have a macbook pro 2016 and an imac 21.5 inch 2017. I would like to use the iMac as a display. I have the latest version of Monterey on both. I have thunderbolt cable. So far the directions I have found online don't seem to work, though they were for High Sierra. Can this be done on Monterey with these macs? Thanks.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 6:43 PM in response to Roger Coupal

Roger Coupal wrote:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

Apr 1, 2022 4:32 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you. I saw this link, and if I understand it then using imac as a display does NOT work for 2017 iMacs since the link only works with "iMacs of 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014" vintage, and the later 'improved' models, i.e. 2017+ are not capable. Also I would have to re-install an earlier operating system then the current 'new and improved' Monterey OS: High Sierra even if I had the correct vintages. :-) If that is the correct interpretation then best I can do is to get a used monitor someplace on my campus or simply remain with the 13 inch macbook pro display. I appreciate the clarification.

can I use my imac (2017) as a display for a macbookpro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.