Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2015 suddenly stopped seeing TV connected with HDMI

I have been using a Sharp TV as a monitor connected with the HDMI port on my laptop.

Suddenly 2 days ago it just stopped working. I have reset the PRAM and the SMC. I have tried a new HDMI cable in all the HDMI ports on the TV. My Mac still doesn't see the TV.

In System preferences I have went to Displays and held down the Option key and clicked on "Detect Displays." Nothing. I can not figure out why my computer does not see the TV monitor that it has been seeing for years! Please any ideas anyone?

MacBook Pro, Mid 2015, Retina 15-inch

OS 11.6.5 Big Sur

2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 11:04 AM

Actually I solved the problem by accident. Out of curiosity I checked the Sharp TV settings to see if there was a factory reset and there was! Once I reset the TV to factory settings all was well and good!

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 31, 2022 5:22 PM in response to brassandzin

Do you have any other displays which use HDMI which you can test to make sure the laptop is working Ok and your adapter & cable are fine? You can also try using a Thunderbolt 2 to VGA, DVI, or HDMI adapter to see if the issue is with the laptop's HDMI port (VGA or DVI would be best as it would eliminate HDMI issues all around if your TV supports a VGA or DVI input)?

Is your Sharp TV connected to the Internet? If so, perhaps it received a firmware update which broke something.

Or did you happen to just install a macOS update that may have broken something? You could try installing macOS 10.14 Mojave on an external USB3 drive to test the laptop as this would give you a clean OS free of any possible third party software issues and also a version of macOS without any recent patches that may have caused an HDMI compatibility issue. Testing this way also keeps you from having to wipe the internal drive for testing and later restoring from a backup. You can use the instructions in this Apple article for creating a bootable macOS 10.14 USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

There is also a chance the laptop may have a GPU issue which is very common with the 2013 & earlier models, but the 2015 model may also be vulnerable although I haven't seen a lot of reports for the 2015 model.

Unrelated to your HDMI issues.....you should check to see whether your laptop qualifies for this Apple Battery Recall Program for a battery safety issue with some batteries:

15-inch MacBook Pro Battery Recall Program - Apple Support

Edit: Also do you have another computer you connect to the TV using HDMI to make sure the TV's HDMI is working properly?

MacBook Pro 2015 suddenly stopped seeing TV connected with HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.