Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It's been more than 5 days and my stolen iPhone is not erased yet

Hello everyone,

My new iPhone was stolen last week while I was walking and unfortunately during this incident my iPhone was open which means it can be accessed for a period of time until it gets locked again with a passcode and I’m wondering what this thief can do or capable of with an open iPhone as there still passcode required every 1 min. My iCloud has also a strong password with 2 way authentication. Unfortunately, I haven’t disabled my sim card until the next day when this incident happened.

Also, I unfortunately didn’t take the steps for missing or stolen iPhone until the next day when this incident occurred such marking it as lost, requesting erase and so forth.

Now it’s been more than 5 days since my stolen and erase requested with no update on the erase (erase pending) until today I noticed update the location and erase but still with confirmation on the completion of the erase, and advise?

Finally, I still haven’t removed my stolen iPhone from device list on the iCloud since I am still waiting for erase confirmation, should I keep till when and am I right or should I remove it even with no confirmation on the erase request?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 5:04 AM

I don’t know that there’s a whole lot left to do.

I’d expect your location updates to cease because the phone was erased.

Your thought of creating a new iCloud account for yourself is a sound one, but I’m not sure that it’s really necessary. (Depending on how many “interlocking” Apple services you have, changing an AppleID carries it’s own burden of challenges and headaches)

Since the thief DOES know your phone number AND your carrier, you should be extra vigilant for SIM-Swap fraud. Contact your carrier and “harden” your account in every possible way they provide.

Lastly is get your Apple 2FA setup if you’ve not done so already. Pay particular attention to the “non-Apple” trusted numbers you add; You’ll need them for recovery if you loose access to your primary Apple Devices.

See:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2022 5:04 AM in response to Silver1789

I don’t know that there’s a whole lot left to do.

I’d expect your location updates to cease because the phone was erased.

Your thought of creating a new iCloud account for yourself is a sound one, but I’m not sure that it’s really necessary. (Depending on how many “interlocking” Apple services you have, changing an AppleID carries it’s own burden of challenges and headaches)

Since the thief DOES know your phone number AND your carrier, you should be extra vigilant for SIM-Swap fraud. Contact your carrier and “harden” your account in every possible way they provide.

Lastly is get your Apple 2FA setup if you’ve not done so already. Pay particular attention to the “non-Apple” trusted numbers you add; You’ll need them for recovery if you loose access to your primary Apple Devices.

See:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Mar 31, 2022 7:12 PM in response to Silver1789

DO NOT remove the phone from iCloud.com/find that frees it up for whoever has it to use it. I wouldn’t worry about the Erase since it’s been locked so no one can get any info off of it.

”If you remove a missing device from your account after you erase it, Activation Lock will be turned off. This allows another person to turn on and use your device.” Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

Apr 1, 2022 5:39 AM in response to Chattanoogan

The thing I don’t want to keep seeing this device and want to forget and in the same time I’d not remove it from my iCloud so this thief can use it. So, I’m thinking of creating another iCloud account for my new one.

I have already blocked my sim and got a new one the day after this iPhone stolen.

Now at least I should be confirmed that the iPhone is erased and all my data on that stolen device is erased since the confirmation I received from apple was NOT clear and only mentioning that the iPhone is being erased?

Apr 1, 2022 4:20 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sure will never remove the device but I’m confused why Apple suggested to remove it after erase complete?

I have already taken all the necessary steps to ensure my data privacy and changed the password of iCloud account and make more stronger as well as changing the email linked with apple ID.

I have also changed the passwords of my accounts on websites such as social media, banking and etc as there was password autofill on that stolen device.

Apr 1, 2022 4:23 AM in response to shoeluvr13

Yes, I wouldn’t remove from the iCloud but in the same time I don’t want to keep seeing that stolen device on my iCloud account I’m using now in my other new iPhone so I will create another iCloud account for my other new device and keep the stolen device in the other iCloud account forever even when erase completes.

In this way, I don’t have to worry about the my data in the iCloud for my other new device, what do you think?

I’m also wondering if there is any way to change the passcode for this stolen iPhone as it was only 4 digits and want make it more stronger if it’s possible to change it without having the phone while it’s already locked and marked as lost or it’s necessary anymore since it’s already locked?

Apr 1, 2022 4:28 AM in response to Silver1789

Re: “… I’m confused why Apple suggested to remove it … “

That’s a good question which I too wonder about.

It could be that Apple’s intent was to completely clean-up the user’s AppleID account and “trim off” ALL loose-ends.

It DOES do that.

Perhaps the author was a kind soul who felt that bygones should be bygones and the user should “move on.”

If the user received any insurance reimbursement or other compensation for the loss, the phone might not “technically” be their’s any longer. (I’m neither a lawyer or an insurance expert … )

However …

I’m of the mindset that I purchased that phone w/ cash w/o any carrier subsidy; I own it outright; it is STILL mine (even if I’ve lost physical control over it), and it will therefore remain on my account.

Apr 1, 2022 4:56 AM in response to Chattanoogan

I just got confirmation 3 mins ago from Apple that the iPhone is being erased, and checked the location on find my iPhone and I can see the update in the location right now but unfortunately I’m not anymore in this country as I was traveling abroad to Madrid when my iPhone was stolen.

That’s means the device is now turned on after being off several days.

What do you think this thief can do with it now if it’s already marked as lost and is being erased?

And what should I do know?

I can see that he is keeping turning off the device right away and hiding inside building since the location is not keep updating.

Apr 1, 2022 9:28 AM in response to Silver1789

I wouldn’t create a new Apple ID, you’ll lose everything on your current Apple ID.

When my husband lost his iPhone after a couple of months of trying to find it he eventually never paid attention to it showing on his account. After about 1.5 years is when he removed it from his account figuring it had used been used for parts. Maybe wait a while more before removing it from your account?

As for the passcode, nothing can be done as it has to be done from the iPhone itself.

It's been more than 5 days and my stolen iPhone is not erased yet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.