Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Widespread Scan Failure per error 21345 - unresolved too long (April 2022)

Reviewing the literally hundreds of blogs complaining about scanning malfunction via the last few MacOS updates, can be summarised as follows:

• Error 21345 is widespread across all Macs, scanner/printer brands & connection types (USB, Bluetooth, LAN).
  • Everyone confirms that their printers still work but their scanners do not.
  • Everyone confirms that their scanners worked fine until they upgraded to a recent MacOS.
  • Cannot scan from either Image Capture or direct from Printers & Scanners via System Preferences.
  • Updating scan/printer drivers has not resolved the problem.
  • Turning Macs & scanner/printers on & off doesn’t fix anything.
  • ‘Resetting the Printing System’ via System Preferences doesn’t fix anything.
  • ‘Opening’ the printer/scanner file in Library/Image Capture/Devices/’scanner-printer name’ doesn’t fix anything either.

In summary, none of these blogger & Apple advice works, but it’s clearly an Apple failure that requires Apple to resolve & issue an update ASAP.

It’s frustrating that there is no clear acknowledgement of this failure by Apple together with a published commitment to address it & timeline.

Quite frankly, how difficult can it be to ensure the scan function continues to work regardless of any update, etc....seriously?

Now, can we please get a responsible, succinct response from an Apple professional to the basic but important issue?

Very disgruntled,

JPRJ

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 10:51 PM

Well, I'm eating some humble bread today but very thankful for it.

I spoke to Apple Tech Support who found the latest Canon scanner drivers to download that I wasn't aware of &, sure enough, problem fixed. My MacBook Air now recognises my Canon scanner & scans.

So, in my case at least, I simply didn't have the latest scanner drivers compatable with Monterey.

I hope this feedback may help others in the same boat.

Happy again,

JPRJ 🙂

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2022 10:51 PM in response to ku4hx

Well, I'm eating some humble bread today but very thankful for it.

I spoke to Apple Tech Support who found the latest Canon scanner drivers to download that I wasn't aware of &, sure enough, problem fixed. My MacBook Air now recognises my Canon scanner & scans.

So, in my case at least, I simply didn't have the latest scanner drivers compatable with Monterey.

I hope this feedback may help others in the same boat.

Happy again,

JPRJ 🙂

Apr 4, 2022 10:46 AM in response to jprjones

There is something that everyone should understand. That is that Apple (nor any computer manufacturer) does not, and has not ever written its operating software to comply with the thousands of models of vendor equipment out there. It is not Apple's responsibility, nor can it be accomplished. What happens is that Apple provides the various vendors in advance of release, of its new OS specifications. The vendors then have the responsibility to release updated software which is compliant with the new OS. We, as users, then have the responsibility to update any apps which are affected by the installation of the new OS.

Widespread Scan Failure per error 21345 - unresolved too long (April 2022)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.