Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

failed to open a connection to the scanner (-21345)

OS 11.6 on MacBook Air 13 inch. HP OfficeJet Pro 8035 (Bonjour Secure Airprint). I was fine on Oct. 1 (Friday), but I noticed a request to make changes to print settings. Today (Oct. 4), I CANNOT open the scanner with Image Capture, PDF Scanner or the new Scan button on Printer (System Preferences, Printers & Scanners, Scan button).

I get the error "failed to open a connection to the scanner (-21345)".

Deleting and reinstalling the Printer driver does not fix the problem. My Mac is up to date. Any recommendations?

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 3:14 PM

Very interesting, but 2 days and it all of a sudden works. I uninstalled the printer in Settings. Rebooted. Went to Image capture to confirm it was gone. Reinstalled the printer in Settings. Now it has a Scan option where that wasn’t previously available.

that didn’t work the first day but then I saw some kind of update (I have auto updates on) so restarted. Still nothing. Shut down laptop and somehow on a restart it is working again. Very odd but at least it works again!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 3:14 PM in response to jameyfranksf

Very interesting, but 2 days and it all of a sudden works. I uninstalled the printer in Settings. Rebooted. Went to Image capture to confirm it was gone. Reinstalled the printer in Settings. Now it has a Scan option where that wasn’t previously available.

that didn’t work the first day but then I saw some kind of update (I have auto updates on) so restarted. Still nothing. Shut down laptop and somehow on a restart it is working again. Very odd but at least it works again!

Oct 7, 2021 3:01 PM in response to Barney-15E

According to HP, all my drivers are up to date. But I still can't scan. HP Easy Scan software doesn't work either, nor does Image Capture. I upgraded to Big Sur, but that didn't help.

HP Smart app (available in App Store) seems to work for scanning, but it's unstable and crashes, and very slow to connect to the scanner. HP doesn't support Mac shared folders on the network, and emailing scans is cumbersome.

I'm resorting back to "SneakerNet"..just using my USB thumb drive plugged into the printer, and forget about desktop/network scanning... lame.

failed to open a connection to the scanner (-21345)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.