Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

coreduetd is crippling my mac; what does Apple advise?

Coreduetd is software that facilitates communication between my Mac and other Mac products. But it takes up 100% of my MacBook's server power and is making my computer super sluggish. You can force quit it but it pops back on in a minute.

I've seen various hacks and suggestions for rejiggering my software to get rid of this but this feels wrong--what does Apple suggest? I want an authoritative answer and not someone's blog about how you can go into Terminal and rewrite your software. That doesn't seem safe to me. It also doesn't seem right for a premium product to have this problem.

This is a real issue--many people have it--but I don't see a real, authoritative Apple response. Any ideas?

I have a MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running Monterey 12.2.1

Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 12:36 PM

So I think I found a simple solution: disable handoff on your Mac. You do this by going into Systems Preferences--General and then unclick "Allow Handoff" at the bottom. You can go into Activity Monitor and force quit coreduetd one last time but basically after that it won't reappear, or will make minimal appearances using very little CPU. Since doing it yesterday my Macbook is back under my control--without even having to restart it.

That does make it difficult to jump from your Macbook to your iPad, etc., but personally I don't use this much at all (if ever). I think "handoff" is basically a gimmick and I doubt most people will notice not having it unless they flit from one device to the other. If that's how you work, then maybe this solution isn't for you.

Let me know if this works for you, too, or if you see any disadvantages.

Good luck!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2022 12:36 PM in response to ianjohnson456

So I think I found a simple solution: disable handoff on your Mac. You do this by going into Systems Preferences--General and then unclick "Allow Handoff" at the bottom. You can go into Activity Monitor and force quit coreduetd one last time but basically after that it won't reappear, or will make minimal appearances using very little CPU. Since doing it yesterday my Macbook is back under my control--without even having to restart it.

That does make it difficult to jump from your Macbook to your iPad, etc., but personally I don't use this much at all (if ever). I think "handoff" is basically a gimmick and I doubt most people will notice not having it unless they flit from one device to the other. If that's how you work, then maybe this solution isn't for you.

Let me know if this works for you, too, or if you see any disadvantages.

Good luck!

Apr 22, 2022 9:31 AM in response to ianjohnson456

I have had it disabled for 2 weeks, it still comes on every time I leave my MacBook for a few minutes. It even (get this) WAKES UP THE COMPUTER FROM SLEEP MODE to run WITH it disabled.

And to that end...what if I WANT handoff?

Like the OP, I want to hear/read/see APPLE's response to this.

Oh...and I'm on BigSur 11.6.5 which is the max OS I can go to (missed Monterey by half a year).

coreduetd is crippling my mac; what does Apple advise?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.