Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Export Library

When I select File> Library> Export Library> Music creates an XML file that then cannot be opened. The message is that there is "no Error Detail available. Location:Line 2, Column 9."

Can I select a different format to export to or is there a fix to this issue?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 3:01 PM

The purpose of that command is to save copies of playlists to use on another computer. On the other computer use the import command] to read the playlist(s). Playlists are just the names of the songs, not the songs themselves.

In the Music app on your Mac, do one of the following:

• Save a copy of a single playlist or use it in Music on another computer: Select a playlist in the sidebar on the left, choose File > Library > Export Playlist, then choose XML from the Format pop-up menu.
  • Save a copy of all your playlists: Choose File > Library > Export Library. The exported information is saved in XML format.

If you actually want to copy your music library, see:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

Note: This does not transfer songs you lease with an Apple Music subscription. They are copy-protected.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2022 3:01 PM in response to Howarddp

The purpose of that command is to save copies of playlists to use on another computer. On the other computer use the import command] to read the playlist(s). Playlists are just the names of the songs, not the songs themselves.

In the Music app on your Mac, do one of the following:

• Save a copy of a single playlist or use it in Music on another computer: Select a playlist in the sidebar on the left, choose File > Library > Export Playlist, then choose XML from the Format pop-up menu.
  • Save a copy of all your playlists: Choose File > Library > Export Library. The exported information is saved in XML format.

If you actually want to copy your music library, see:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

Note: This does not transfer songs you lease with an Apple Music subscription. They are copy-protected.

Apr 1, 2022 4:47 PM in response to javaliga

Yes, I know this is just a list of the songs, and that is exactly what I want. But the file that is created (Library.xml) cannot be opened in Word or any other app other than a text editor which is not organized, but is just a long un organized string of words. which is very difficult to read. I get the message I mentioned above.

If the format of the file could be something other than .XML I might be able to use it, but for some reason the file Music creates is corrupted.

Thank you for your feedback, but I think I need more help.

Apple Music Export Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.