Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 12.2 lockscreen privacy bug?

Hi! After updating to 2021 MacBook Pro with MacOs Monterey 12.2 I have noticed a strange bug (?). When there is a video on a pause in QuickTime, VLC or YouTube in Chrome and you lock your screen – you may press F8 button (play/pause button) and the video will continue playing (you will hear the sound only). This seems like a privacy bug, as when the system is locked you should not get any access to what is inside the system and you should not be able to play sound from paused videos while on lockscreen. Kindly advise if any has the same thing and do you consider it a bug?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 10:45 AM

Ouch! An inverse boss key. That's gonna hurt!

This is a user-to-user support forum. Apple isn't here. You can send feedback to Apple on this site: Product Feedback - Apple

And if you want to file an official bug report, you can use this site: https://bugreport.apple.com

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 4, 2022 1:18 PM in response to philippg

philippg wrote:

Yes, I know, I just want to make sure this is widespread behaviour and that this is considered as bug not only by me.

Yes. I can easily reproduce this.

Please explain what did you mean by "An inverse boss key."? English is not my main language

In the very early days of computers, computer games often included a "boss key". If you were playing the game at work, and noticed that your supervisor was heading over, you could quickly hit the "boss key" and display a screen that looked like a spreadsheet or something. The boss wouldn't know you've been playing a game on company time.

But now, with this bug, the boss can just press F8 on any Mac that is locked and hear if any audio or video file is open, and maybe, exactly what kind of video it is.

MacOS 12.2 lockscreen privacy bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.