You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gamepad controller mapped to Launchpad

Since I have upgraded to Mac OS Ventura, I see that one of the Menu buttons on my HORI Gamepad is already mapped to a function in the Mac OS.

When I press this button, it automatically switches focus to the Launchpad app and shows my 'Games' installed on my Mac.

I have not found a way of disabling this mapping in Mac OS in the System Settings/Game Controllers/

Anyone else have this issue?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 7:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:06 AM

Via this reddit thread, pasting these commands into Terminal disables the bad Lanchpad behavior with game controllers:

defaults write com.apple.GameController bluetoothPrefsMenuLongPressAction -integer 0

defaults write com.apple.GameController bluetoothPrefsShareLongPressSystemGestureMode -integer -1

After entering those commands, log out of MacOS then log back in.

It's absurd that this is the default behavior at all, and even more absurd that Apple removed the UI for turning it off. As noted elsewhere in this thread, everyone should also report this issue to Apple via the Feedback Assistant.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 14, 2023 9:06 AM in response to D M K

Via this reddit thread, pasting these commands into Terminal disables the bad Lanchpad behavior with game controllers:

defaults write com.apple.GameController bluetoothPrefsMenuLongPressAction -integer 0

defaults write com.apple.GameController bluetoothPrefsShareLongPressSystemGestureMode -integer -1

After entering those commands, log out of MacOS then log back in.

It's absurd that this is the default behavior at all, and even more absurd that Apple removed the UI for turning it off. As noted elsewhere in this thread, everyone should also report this issue to Apple via the Feedback Assistant.

Feb 3, 2023 2:39 PM in response to D M K

So, no way this would be an Apple Supported answers, but you can run the following commands in your terminal. Can confirm this worked for me.

credit - https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/qi1i6h/comment/j39ihs4/

Dec 12, 2022 1:20 AM in response to U.C.

Everyone reading this thread, it would help greatly if you could spend five minutes to report this issue using the Apple Feedback Assistant… https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/

Here are the responses I used for each of the feedback form fields…

Basic Information

Please provide a descriptive title for your feedback:

Provide a way to disable default button map for game controllers

Which area are you seeing an issue with?

System Settings

What type of issue are you reporting?

Incorrect/Unexpected Behavior

Details

Which settings are you seeing issues with?

Game Controllers

Description

Please describe the issue and what steps we can take to reproduce it:

Mac OS 13.0.1 Ventura. New/different behaviour with game controller physical key mappings. There does not appear to be a method to disable the system mapping of a controller physical key with the action to open Launchpad showing the Game collection. When using a game controller, that physical key may be expected to be used by the game. As it stands, pressing that key whilst in-game will switch apps to Launchpad taking you out of the game. I would expect a System Settings > Game Controllers toggle switch to enable/disable this action. To quote the web Apple Support guide (Use Launchpad to view and open apps on Mac – Apple Support (UK)): “If you’re using a game controller that supports it, you can access and navigate the Games folder using your controller.“ If you are in a game that expects to use this physical key, the behaviour is unexpected and jarring.

Mar 29, 2023 5:10 AM in response to t0521r0

anyone know how to do it on controller connected wired (dual sense)?

This worked for me, as the logged in user defaults

defaults write com.apple.GameController longPressShareGesture_mac -integer -1
  defaults write com.apple.GameController doublePressShareGesture_mac -integer 0

and just in case I also set the super user defaults

sudo defaults write com.apple.GameController longPressShareGesture_mac -integer -1
  sudo defaults write com.apple.GameController doublePressShareGesture_mac -integer 0

Log out.

(Or reboot)

gamepad controller mapped to Launchpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.