Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't access my downloads folder on my MacBook Pro

I can't access my downloads folder on my MacBook Pro (2019 with touchbar) because I had a different account at one time, so I "don't have permission to see its contents." I also can't delete the other account, but it can't be accessed either, so I'm not sure what to do. The reason this is in the "free up storage" section is because I'm fairly certain there's almost 50 GB of junk (2-3 years worth of junk) that needs to be deleted.

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 6:57 AM

An admin user should be able to delete any user except itself. What do you mean the old account can't be accessed? If you have the password, it should open. If not, then you have a more involved problem than simple inaccessibility. If you've forgotten the password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

If all else fails, it's time to consider reinstalling the OS.

Missing Downloads folder: Open Finder. Finder Menu > Preferences > Sidebar. Confirm Downloads is selected.

Th only way to free disk space is to delete data you as a user either created or copied to the disk. Never delete system files or folders. You'll need to copy the data to en external destination (external HDD; Cloud storage) then delete the copied and verified data. iCloud Drive is not designed to be a long term storage solution.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2022 6:57 AM in response to penssle

An admin user should be able to delete any user except itself. What do you mean the old account can't be accessed? If you have the password, it should open. If not, then you have a more involved problem than simple inaccessibility. If you've forgotten the password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

If all else fails, it's time to consider reinstalling the OS.

Missing Downloads folder: Open Finder. Finder Menu > Preferences > Sidebar. Confirm Downloads is selected.

Th only way to free disk space is to delete data you as a user either created or copied to the disk. Never delete system files or folders. You'll need to copy the data to en external destination (external HDD; Cloud storage) then delete the copied and verified data. iCloud Drive is not designed to be a long term storage solution.

I can't access my downloads folder on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.