Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media Management Issues

Best way to ensure a part complete Event is not lost if a major stuff up occurs!

Context

- all files on an external drive along with the FCP X library

• 40 minute long movie in 4K to be constructed
  • editing in Proxy

I can duplicate a Project within the same library which is unsatisfactory. I can export a Project as a default (all the edit bells and whistles) to an external disk but if I re-import only the project files are returned and not the edit timeline. Seems odd! This means I have to rebuilt the movie timeline which is also unsatisfactory. I have checked the manual without success.

I must be missing something here or going quietly mad. It seems odd the FCP requires the user to complete a project as a single file. I want to allocate each film scene to a project (there are 28 scenes) then join them up in Project 29 (the final) otherwise I will end up with a very large single Project file containing all the scenes. Any ideas how better to manage the situation please?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 9:39 PM

Copy the contents of the scene projects and paste into the master is the simplest way. It also gives you the most flexibility of how the scenes are linked, transitions, overlapping sound, or other effects.

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 3, 2022 9:16 PM in response to migill99

If you want to make a single continuous 40 minute movie then at some point it all has to be assembled into a single project. Theoretically you could export separate screens and then assemble them in QuickTime.

For long projects it’s quite common to edit different scenes in different projects. Once the scenes have been edited they can be assembled into a master project to export the final output.

There are a lot of different ways of working. Different editors construct their library and events and projects differently. There is really nothing wrong with duplicating projects; it’s not as if the media is being duplicated. It’s quite common to do to try out different versions of scenes or of the assembled project.

Apr 3, 2022 9:27 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you so much Tom for your reply. I am not quite clear yet. Are you saying that for each scene of my movie I allocate a separate project. Once the editing for each scene is complete than I can assemble together all the scenes? That is what I want to do but I do not understand how to assemble the final products together again? Is it simply cut and paste to the "final project"?

Media Management Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.