Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to find FCPX project

Hello. It seems a variation of this question has been asked several times before, but I was unable to find anything that helps my current situation.

I've been hired as an assistant editor and am using FCPX for the first time. I have a copy of the company's files, organized by scene, and was told to create a new Event for all my projects. When I tried to access files from the original event in my new project I didn't see any media, so I attempted to create a project in the original event, but never saw it.

Regardless, I was able to make edits on the timeline, so I edited the scene and exported it for review. While waiting for comments I closed out of FCPX and when I reopened it my timeline was gone. My in and out points for the original media are still there. Is there a way to find the timeline/project using that or are those edits gone forever?

Also, if anyone can point me to a tutorial that shows how to access media from one event to another, that would be very helpful, too.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 4:33 PM

What was the name of the project? There is s smart collection for projects in the Library. Select the library in the sidebar. Did you make a project or did you open a clip? Projects have distinctive icons in the browser and are at the top of the the items in an event.

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 18, 2019 4:52 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

The name of the project is A2 - Sandrene edit, which is what I named the project in the second event but I had also tried to create a new project by the same name in the event with the A2 scene and never saw it in the browser. Which is why I'm not sure where this is located.

I have to upload the library file for my client and I don't know where to tell them to look, other than the smart collection. I'm also not sure how to properly create a new project for my next scene, since I don't know what I did wrong on this one.

Dec 18, 2019 5:01 PM in response to saminsocks

The smart collection for projects shows all the projects in all the events in the library. They the same projects as the ones in the events. Is the A2 project in . the smart the correct project, and does it have your edited content?

If the other project isn't in the smart collection, it's not a project. It's possible you opened a clip into the timeline and edited other clips into it. This isn't a project. It's a clips container with other clips in it. This shouldn't be done, but it's a not uncommon mistake. All I can suggest is to check the lengths of the clips to see if one of them might contain your edited material.

Dec 18, 2019 5:48 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, it is the correct project with all of my edits. But when I go to the project directly I don't see anything in the timeline. This is what has me confused. I don't know if I created a second project with the same name somewhere else and if so, 1. how to find it directly and 2. how to properly create another project in the correct event that I can edit.

Dec 18, 2019 5:53 PM in response to saminsocks

Select an event in the sidebar and press Cmd-N to make a new project. You can’t have two projects in the same event with the same name. You can have two projects with the same name if they’re in different events. Both projects willAppear in the library smart collection. The project doesn’t have to be in the same event as the clips used in it.

Unable to find FCPX project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.