Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware/Adware

Hello everyone. It's Piyal.

I'm a new mac user, so I need to know that, how can I know if there is a Malware/Adware or virus in my Mac?

Note:

• my mac isn't slower than usual,

• there are no suspicious extention on my browser (I use Safari only),

• there are no suspicious background activity in (I checked activity monitor)

But I'm worried because yesterday I experienced redirecting to a specific antivirus website. Later I blocked the site, and it never happened till now.

I'm using macOS Monterey 12.3.1.

Sorry for the bad English, and thanks in advance

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 2:31 AM

Read this excellent post about keeping your mac secure:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

In case you are concerned about a possible infection, you may run MalwareBytes, a reputable program by a respected member of the mac security community.

Never install any “antivirus”, “cleaner” or “optimizer”. They are designed to separate you from your money, not to protect your mac. Many of those programs should be considered malware themselves.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2022 2:31 AM in response to P1998

Read this excellent post about keeping your mac secure:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

In case you are concerned about a possible infection, you may run MalwareBytes, a reputable program by a respected member of the mac security community.

Never install any “antivirus”, “cleaner” or “optimizer”. They are designed to separate you from your money, not to protect your mac. Many of those programs should be considered malware themselves.

Apr 4, 2022 3:19 AM in response to P1998

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Malware/Adware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.