Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.3.1 networking issues.

Hi, just yesterday I've updated my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) to macOS Monterey 12.3.1 and with it came plenty of networking issues.

Long story short most of the apps that use any kind of internet connection crash on startup without even giving a crash report.

The apps I tried where: browsers (like: chrome, firefox, opera), whatsapp, adobe creative cloud, even visual studio code and the list goes on.

So far I checked my security setting and found nothing abnormal there and can't think of anything else to try, so I wanted to ask

Is this an issue limited to me and my device or something greater?

But most importantly is there anything I can do other than rolling back to the previous Mac OS?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 1:01 AM

Some more notes on your report:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Time Machine backup out-of-date - The last Time Machine backup is over 10 days old.

Battery failure - Your battery is reporting that it needs to be serviced.

Gatekeeper disabled - Gatekeeper security protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

System Integrity Protection disabled - System Integrity Protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Note that besides the security problems, the battery is also failing.

And this is cause for concern:

Kernel boot arguments - This computer has custom kernel boot arguments.

So your system is booting with arguments that are unusual. Have you any idea why this is?

It seems fishy to me.

These are the boot arguments mentioned:

System Software:

macOS Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258)

Time since boot: About 17 hours

Boot args: amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 -no_compat_check arch=x86_64

I have seen hundreds of Etrecheck report and this is the first time I have seen this.

Apart from special testing, that should be done by people who understand these things way better than us, this should never appear. And yet, here it is.

Have you got any idea how these appeared? Was it deliberate?

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 1:01 AM in response to El_Paulin

Some more notes on your report:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Time Machine backup out-of-date - The last Time Machine backup is over 10 days old.

Battery failure - Your battery is reporting that it needs to be serviced.

Gatekeeper disabled - Gatekeeper security protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

System Integrity Protection disabled - System Integrity Protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Note that besides the security problems, the battery is also failing.

And this is cause for concern:

Kernel boot arguments - This computer has custom kernel boot arguments.

So your system is booting with arguments that are unusual. Have you any idea why this is?

It seems fishy to me.

These are the boot arguments mentioned:

System Software:

macOS Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258)

Time since boot: About 17 hours

Boot args: amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 -no_compat_check arch=x86_64

I have seen hundreds of Etrecheck report and this is the first time I have seen this.

Apart from special testing, that should be done by people who understand these things way better than us, this should never appear. And yet, here it is.

Have you got any idea how these appeared? Was it deliberate?

Apr 5, 2022 7:37 AM in response to El_Paulin

Hi there El_Paulin,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If you restart your Mac in safe mode does the same thing happen? Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, completes a basic check of your startup disk, and clears cache. Test while in safe mode, then restart and see how your Mac responds after this.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you're experiencing the same thing, try resetting the SMC on your Mac: How to reset the SMC of your Mac This will reset the power to various components and can help refresh the connections. Be sure to test after completing these steps. 

If you're still experiencing the same thing, please reach out to Apple directly: Contact Apple Support

Cheers.

Apr 5, 2022 7:46 AM in response to El_Paulin

Is user profile accurate in that the computer was upGraded from Mojave to Monterey

If upgrading from Mojave and earlier versions of macOS - Remember that Monterey does not support anything 32 bit. These include Applications, Extensions and Drivers for any devices. There is no workaround.

To check for 32 bit Applications - a good application to use is Go64 - safe to use.

Apr 6, 2022 1:52 AM in response to El_Paulin

Very much agree with the analysis of the Etrecheck Report by previous poster.

The amount of User modifications infected on this computer are many and some are downright & possibly dangerous for the heath of the computer.

Normally, would advise to clean this situation up.

The downtime to do so may outweigh to more the time needed to Wipe and Reinstall the OS to Barebones.

Therefore, reinstall all needed Applications directly from the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developers of the Application.

Once can Migrate Only the User Account but nothing more as that would effectively negate the Pristine and Virginal Reinstallation.

Apr 9, 2022 12:32 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I wasn't aware of the system integrity being turned off (since the computer is shared another user had to do it to use some programs), turning it back on was enough to solve the issue.

As for the kernel arguments I have no clue where they come from, got rid of them just in case anyway.

That said, really thanks for the help, I can declare this issue close.

Apr 10, 2022 3:23 AM in response to El_Paulin

El_Paulin wrote:

Reinstalling was done but not enough since the issue was elsewhere, I'm curious tho, when you install a new os on the mac doesn't this os come with its own set of default preferences and kernel arguments?

There is a huge distinction! Preferences are associated to each of your applications, and typically saved in plist files in a specific location.

Kernel arguments are values that you pass to the kernel at boot, and that modify how the kernel works. This is something that no user should have access, as they can cause your mac to work differently from expected, or not work at all!

The fact that your entire system was starting with nonstandard arguments (by default there should be no arguments) is suspicious. As I wrote before, among hundreds of reports, and years frequenting this forum, this was the first time I ever saw this.

May 7, 2022 6:46 AM in response to El_Paulin

Hello!

I too have been sweating cold for the past 1:30 hours as after updating MacOS to 12.3.1 I unhappily found that Sync.com client & website as well as Box.com's would not connect at all, many other websites (including discussions.apple.com!) were not working on any browser, etc.

My SIP was regularly enabled, and before updating I had had the immediate previous version of Monterey... which was running without issues.

The only tiny simple and little thing that solved it all for me: deleting the DNS Servers I had in use (OpenDNS).

After I did that everything got back to working as usual! Thank God... deleting and reinstalling everything would have taken me many hours!

[Edited by Moderator]

May 26, 2022 5:15 AM in response to El_Paulin

This continues to be an issue, even after 12.4 installed this morning. I'm on a new, 2022 M1 Max MacBook Pro and networking has not worked since I unboxed the machine. I was hoping 12.4 would fix this, but is seems not. I essentially have a $3700 brick as far as networking goes, which is totally unacceptable. This was supposed to replace my 2011MBP, but I continue to use it because it actually works as it's supposed to. What is Apple's plan to remedy this issue?

May 26, 2022 6:42 AM in response to mr_rock

You should start your own thread and give specific details about the network settings.

Post screenshots of the System Preferences->Network window with Wifi selected; click Advanced->DNS and post a screenshot; click Proxies, post a screenshot.

Also Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

Monterey 12.3.1 networking issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.