Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Standard PC Headset w/Microphone on a new Macbook Pro 2020 with 3.5mm USB C Port Adapter

I have a 13" Macbook Pro 2020 with 4 USB C ports and an Intel chip.

I purchased the 3.5mm USB C to headset w/mic adapter. The plug fits perfectly using a standard PC gaming headset with built-in microphone.

After resetting my PRAM and SMC several times, my Mac refuses to see the 3.5mm port or the headset.

Has anyone else found a way to make the USB C 3.5mm audio adapter work with their 2020 Macbook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 9:26 AM

Tim Mc. wrote:

The Macbook Pro 2020 13" has 4 USB C ports and no built-in 3.5mm jack, unfortunately...

Not possible, all 2020 MacBook Pros have a 3.5mm headphone jack on the right side. Both the Intel versions released in May as well as the M1 versions released in October.

The headset jack has 3 black lines around it and fits perfectly into the adapter, and should replicate speaker audio and headphone microphones - unless I'm wrong?

Correct.

Can you tell us what you see then in the Sound settings in System Preferences for output? Are the Headphones plugged in?

For example, I see this:

and when I plug in an adapter:

The USB PnP device is the headphone jack adapter when Headphones are plugged in to it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2022 9:26 AM in response to Tim Mc.

Tim Mc. wrote:

The Macbook Pro 2020 13" has 4 USB C ports and no built-in 3.5mm jack, unfortunately...

Not possible, all 2020 MacBook Pros have a 3.5mm headphone jack on the right side. Both the Intel versions released in May as well as the M1 versions released in October.

The headset jack has 3 black lines around it and fits perfectly into the adapter, and should replicate speaker audio and headphone microphones - unless I'm wrong?

Correct.

Can you tell us what you see then in the Sound settings in System Preferences for output? Are the Headphones plugged in?

For example, I see this:

and when I plug in an adapter:

The USB PnP device is the headphone jack adapter when Headphones are plugged in to it.

Apr 4, 2022 8:36 AM in response to Phil0124

The Macbook Pro 2020 13" has 4 USB C ports and no built-in 3.5mm jack, unfortunately. The adapter doesn't make anything show up in Sound settings for output or input.

I'm using the official Apple adapter:

Buy USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter - Apple

"The USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter lets you connect devices that use a standard 3.5 mm audio plug — like headphones or speakers — to your USB-C devices."

Using Standard PC Headset w/Microphone on a new Macbook Pro 2020 with 3.5mm USB C Port Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.