Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant

I will be getting a new 16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray with Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine. I will use the Migration Assistant to transfer information on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) that is running the latest version of macOS Mojave. When I get to the portion that asks if I want to transfer Applications, will I have the ability to choose which individual Applications I want to transfer? I do not want to copy all of them. Please advise. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 10:18 AM

In a word no. It will transfer all or nothing. If you use Migration Assistant to transfer from your old computer to new. Do it while you are setting up the new computer. Or you will end up with two user accounts. You will be able to transfer your settings and user account with password. Any 32 bit apps will not work in the new operating system and must be updated if possible to work. Go64 is a good app to help with this.

https://mactakeawaydata.com/can-migration-assistant-transfer-individual-applications/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2022 10:18 AM in response to Raymond2008

In a word no. It will transfer all or nothing. If you use Migration Assistant to transfer from your old computer to new. Do it while you are setting up the new computer. Or you will end up with two user accounts. You will be able to transfer your settings and user account with password. Any 32 bit apps will not work in the new operating system and must be updated if possible to work. Go64 is a good app to help with this.

https://mactakeawaydata.com/can-migration-assistant-transfer-individual-applications/

Apr 5, 2022 2:39 AM in response to Raymond2008

Follow the advise from previous posting.

To add some useful information and IMHO the below is worth considering before attempting the Migration Assist method.

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.