Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Time Machine delete additional files on disk?

Can I backup my mac on a disk using Time Machine, without deleting the other files that are already on the disk or can my Time Machine-disk solely be used for Time Machine-backups?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 2:20 AM

All the Eggs in one Basket and the Basket Fails - Scrambled Eggs.

Anything that can not be replaced should really be protected as computer and External Drive can and do fail.

Do I have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS.

For additional purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2022 2:20 AM in response to MadsValdemar

All the Eggs in one Basket and the Basket Fails - Scrambled Eggs.

Anything that can not be replaced should really be protected as computer and External Drive can and do fail.

Do I have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS.

For additional purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Will Time Machine delete additional files on disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.