Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine by a hard drive

Hi, I want to backup my Macbook pro by Time Machine through an external hard drive. However, I already have some documents saved in the hard drive. Will the time machine delete all my old files when it backs up my Macbook? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on May 9, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 12:02 PM

if you're going to use a drive as a backup it should only be used as a backup, not active file storage.

copy the documents to the computer, format the external drive and the Mac will ask you if you want to use it for Time Machine.

if you need to store other files off the internal drive get an alternate storage device or cloud service.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2022 12:02 PM in response to jiahui54

if you're going to use a drive as a backup it should only be used as a backup, not active file storage.

copy the documents to the computer, format the external drive and the Mac will ask you if you want to use it for Time Machine.

if you need to store other files off the internal drive get an alternate storage device or cloud service.

time machine by a hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.