Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Connecting to Public Wifi

When I try to connect to public wifi networks I get an error message saying, "A problem occurred. The webpage could not be loaded."

I turn wifi on and off repeatedly and sometime the sign-in page comes up, eventually, but usually not.

I've tried accessing http://captive.apple.com/ but that doesn't help.

I can access the sign in pages on my iPhone and iPad, but not on my MBP.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

And, PS, Yes, I know about the dangers of public networks and take appropriate precautions.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 3:59 PM

Try entering 1.1.1.1 into the browser address bar and trying to access that ip address. This may force open the public wifi login page.

7 replies

Apr 4, 2022 7:24 PM in response to Ignatz Ratzkiwatzki

Ignatz Ratzkiwatzki wrote:

I turn wifi on and off repeatedly and sometime the sign-in page comes up, eventually, but usually not.

Assuming your MBP has 'remembered' the offending public wifi access point, try deleting that network in System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Preferred Networks. After deleting it, try to connect again ... and then wait for the login page to appear - sometimes there is quite a delay before those public login pages appear.

Error Connecting to Public Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.