Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing music from the Computers icon of TVOS

Has anybody had this problem? If I use the Computers icon in TVOS to play music from my iTunes' library it doesn't use shuffle or play correctly from the Artist menu. The shuffle and play functions will access my entire library instead of just the artist selected. These functions work as expected in the Genre menu. This just started with TVOS 15.4.

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:01 PM

Systemman,

You mentioned that you have tvOS 15.4 installed. Let's have you update to tvOS 15.4.1, with includes some improvements, to see if that helps.

This article explains the process for updating your Apple TV:

Update your Apple TV

Best Regards.

8 replies

Apr 5, 2022 11:51 AM in response to Systemman

Hey there Systemman,

It sounds like you might be referring to Home Sharing on your Apple TV. If that's the case, we recommend using the guidance below to make sure everything is configured correctly, then test to see if the shuffle issue

persists.

"Use Home Sharing on your Apple TV

To use Home Sharing to access your computer's media library on your Apple TV, sign in to Home Sharing on your Apple TV:

1. Go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Home Sharing.
  2. Select Turn on Home Sharing.
  3. Sign in with your Apple ID. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.

After you sign in, follow these steps to access your computer's media library on your Apple TV: 

1. Connect your Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer.
  2. On your computer, open the Music app, Apple TV app, or iTunes for Windows.
  3. On your Apple TV, go to the Home screen, select Computers, and choose a shared library."

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Take care!

Apr 5, 2022 2:49 PM in response to hc1111

That is correct I am using Home Sharing on the Apple TV. The Shuffle and Play functions worked as they should under the Artist Category previously in TVOS but not since the 15.4 update. The Shuffle and Play functions worked as they should under the Genre Category on TVOS and they also work as they should under all categories on my iPhone and iPad which both are using IOS 15.4 and above.

Apr 6, 2022 6:20 AM in response to Systemman

Thanks for getting back to us, Systemman. It's appreciated.

What type of computers are you using and the operating system each are on? If you’re using a Windows PC, is iTunes up to date? Are you able to shuffle or play the songs on those computers correctly when selecting Artist? Have you tried restarting all devices involved?

Please provide those answers when you're able.

All the best.

Apr 6, 2022 8:08 PM in response to SnickZ.

My network consists of 4 Windows 11 computers (3 desktop and 1 laptop), 3 Apple TVs, an iPhone and an iPad. The configuration is a peer to peer LAN using RJ45 Gigabit cards using a Gigabit switch. Obviously the iPhone and iPad are on WiFi using a Gigabit modem. All the windows computers have iTunes, version 12.12.3.5, installed. On all my other devices, in both the Artist mode and Genre mode, the play and shuffle functions work by staying within the selected genre or selected artist. On the Apple TVs the play and shuffle functions work by staying within the selected genre but in the Artist mode if I click on either the play or shuffle function, outside the displayed albums icons, then the song played is from the whole catalog, not the selected artist. However if I click on either the play or shuffle function, within a displayed albums icon, then the song played is within that selected album.

Apr 8, 2022 1:25 PM in response to Systemman

I have TVOS 15.4.1 installed and it shuffles my entire music library when I select an artist and then select shuffle. Previously shuffle would only shuffle songs from the selected artist not the entire library. Seems like a bug in the TVOS 15.4.1 computers app. Hopefully Apple will fix this with an update to the Computers App in TVOS 15. DC

Playing music from the Computers icon of TVOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.