Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Most keys on keyboard not working at login.

This is a really odd one. My wife's laptop - a MacbokAir 2014 is stuck at login. Several keys on her keyboard have stopped working so we can't type her password.

So here's where it gets weirder. If I plug in a USB keyboard, the SAME keys don't work on that either. Of course, I can't boot into recovery mode because the R key is one of the ones that isn't working.

I can sometimes get it to boot into password recovery mode if I do enough failed attempts, however, none of the options are useful without first being able to type a password. I don't know what her system software currently is because I can't check. Help!

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 11:54 PM

3 replies

Apr 5, 2022 7:45 AM in response to Ingo2711

No. It looks like Shift might also be one of the keys affected. About 1/3 of my keyboard keys don't work- both the built-in keys or on a plugged in USB keyboard, and I've tried two of them with the same result. I've even tried changing to an international setup in hopes that that might work. No luck. Still stuck at startup.

Most keys on keyboard not working at login.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.